Chapter 56

Chapter 56

"That first week or more after we first met, my priority was just trying to handle my life being uprooted. Therefore, for a while, I didn't spare you a second look. I didn't think much of you. I was just trying to form a friendship. The fact that you disgusted me at first did not help," he chuckled. "When you started warming up to me, and when I got over the shock of having a stepdaughter, I... started to notice you more. Appreciate your looks, I suppose. Slowly, over time, every time I saw you, you were more and more... pretty. Like when I saw your hair down for the first time and brushed it out. Eventually I admitted to myself that I found you quite attractive."

We were laying on a blanket in the backyard. Luke had his arms folded behind his head and I was in the same position beside him. Both staring up at the fluffy clouds against a blue canvas. The sky was slowly getting darker with the threat of rain, but we were making our cloud-watching experience last. After hearing what he said, I wouldn't give a shit if it started snowing. His words had me smiling like a lunatic.

"Such a bad boy. Thinking I was hot shit when you were married," I tsked.

He laughed from next to me. "Hey, I... tried justifying it."

"Tried justifying what? Being attracted to your wife's daughter?" I teased, admiring the white shapes of a big flamingo holding a sword.

"Trust me, I felt awful about it. But I tried convincing myself I wasn't a bad person. People can be physically attracted to more than just one person. Still felt guilty, but I could live with it. It wasn't until I actually started to have feelings for you that I fell apart."

I suppressed my feelings for a long time and tried drowning my memories. To fully face them, happy and welcoming, it was beautiful. Even better, these weren't just memories. I was getting a peek behind the scenes. Turning my head towards him, I smiled. "You fell apart when you started having feelings for me."

"You did not make it easy either," he said, glancing to me and playfully poking my side.

"When did you know?"

"It just... happened. We spent more time together and I couldn't get enough of you. Your fun spirit and the way you made me feel. I could be myself with you. During that time, I denied my growing feelings. I was holding onto your insanity and the fact that I was married. Then, it... hit me. I realized I loved you after Clare attacked you in the school locker room."

Beyond my giddiness from having access to his thoughts, it was simply powerful. That point in time, I never knew and always wondered how he felt about me. Obviously, it's clear he did fall for me and wanted me; we eventually gave in to each other. However, to hear his side, when and what was happening in his head, it was a little surreal. I was soaking it in like a sponge with a big smile I couldn't hide.

Taking my mind back to that place, I suppose it made sense. "I'm assuming it's because after she attacked me, you found out the truth by looking at those tapes." That was the one thing that pushed him to my side: seeing evidence of Clare in disguise at my school the day I was attacked.

However, Luke surprised me. Leaning up and on his side, he propped his head up with a bent elbow and hand. He offered a flirty raised brow. "Nope, it was before that, my sweet lady."

"You loved me before you learned I wasn't crazy? I figured it would be when you finally saw I was telling the truth." The show was getting good now, wasn't it folks? Biting my lip from where I was staring up to him, I was completely drawn in and curious.

"Yes." His eyes turned adoring. "I was slowly acknowledging I had feelings for you in the weeks leading up to that day. I just didn't realize I was in love with you until that day. Remember why Clare attacked you?"