Chapter 42

Chapter 42

With how anxious I was for answers, I could only handle so much time in the car. Precisely, four and a half more hours. It would have been sooner if Luke didn't remind me Washington was still our destination. We hoped to reach our new lives by tomorrow.

It was 6:00 when I made Luke stop. Unfortunately, by then, we were close to Boise, Idaho. The fucking capital, of course. Populated with many potential observers of the infamous mass murderer. That's why we stopped several miles outside of the city.

The hotel was nothing like the rundown and remote motels we've visited. It was a normal hotel. Somewhat busy and not a dump. Luke booked two rooms, using the name Kyle Doyle for the first time to do so. After Carter came through the vacant backdoor entrance with disguise accessories, we found our rooms on the fourth floor.

You can bet I already hauled up the necessary luggage. I wanted to do everything I could to get the show on the road. Even when Carter said he wanted to shower before our 'interview' (for good reasons), he received a big 'hell no' from me. I wanted answers. Now.

After I tossed Carter's crap into his room where he was getting settled, Luke urged me a few doors down and around the corner to where he and I will be staying. Not for a quickie, not because we needed to unpack, but because he was worried.

"Let's slow down for a second," he mumbled. Shutting the door behind us, he turned to me. By now, his right cheek showed blotches of blue thanks to the punches from Jackson. It couldn't distract me from his eyes. They were raw green globes. Filled with care and caution. "Albany, be honest. Can you handle whatever he might say?" He raised a hand and softly caressed my arm.

The touch was warm and nice. Alive and human. This was the first time being alone with Luke since the truth was revealed. Though I was needy for answers, this slow moment in time was a nice breather. It allowed me to truly consider his question. And get distracted by the sweet human sensation of his thumb rubbing my arm.

Sighing, I closed my eyes. "I don't know."

"Maybe it would be a good idea for you to wait," he said, voice compelling my vision to return. "You can only handle so much."

If that were the case, my brain should have been fried by now. "I'm starting to doubt that." I gave him a sad smile. "Do you know how much shit has been thrown on me in the past? Even on you? Overloads of... insane stuff to process. I think I've learned to adapt. Or it's just going to build up, I will cope or block it out, then it will either eventually sink in or eat me up."

In the past, I'm not sure how I came to accept everything that occurred in my life. Some things were still hard to believe. Like Clare being dead. That's still hard to grasp sometimes. Then the memory would return.

Crazy occurrences and memories like that... I managed to live with. The theory that it will build up until I go nuts like my mother was still a possibility. But based on the past, there was nothing I faced that I couldn't adapt to. The impact of everything was massive, but I survived. Even if it changed me, I adapted and survived.

Luke was there for many of the life-changing events and information that crossed us. He knew where I was coming from and sadly nodded. "I realize what you mean. I'm not saying that you won't be able to cope or accept it. This is just a lot you will be learning. Right now, I'm not sure if... you're ready. Or... in the state to handle it all."

Those last words made me smile. The man was scared I was still too shocked, upset, and angry to handle this. He wasn't wrong. "Look, I get this shit is brand new. And yeah, my feelings are not stable at all. But Luke, my emotions will never be stable about my piece of shit father," I said, holding back the frustration from entering my tone. "The subject will always infuriate me. That won't pass. And who knows. Maybe finally getting answers could give me closure."