Chapter 59

Chapter 59

Searching the land became less daunting the more we did it. Doing it every few days made it a part of our routine. We would drive up to the land, review the map and area we already searched, and continue into unnavigated territory from there. It was still a mind fuck to remember our reason for venturing out into this beautiful wilderness. For how dangerous our objective was, the sights and sounds surrounding us mesmerized me each time. The large boulders shrouded in moss we would have to occasionally climb and the roots we would dodge... it painted a lovely picture. The many hours we sunk into hiking through the massive trees also allowed us to become more comfortable. We joked, talked, and weren't scanning our path in fear. Learning how to trust our device took the stress away.

However, we wouldn't allow the comfortable nature to fool us. Each time we went, we were armed. Also, we acknowledged we could do better when it came to preparing for the worst. Enhancing our changed appearances did make us feel slightly better too.

Cutting a few inches off my own hair made a big difference. My blonde and straightened hair rested just above the middle of my back. When it came to Luke's hair, he originally planned to get a buzz cut. Yuck, I know. Luckily, we agreed on the better option of growing his hair out. The longer his hair, the more ways we could style it and change it each time. Plus, he also mentioned he would grow out his beard too. Never saw Full-Beard Luke before; I was patiently waiting for his chin and cheek hair to get to work.

Exploring the forests and the everyday life between was wonderful. The sweet sensation of a normal life was something I was thankful for each day. To live normal, have each other, it was perfect. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to keep away nightmares – between both of us.

Tonight, it was Luke.

A short but loud shout jolted me into consciousness. It was full of surprise and fear, which my unguarded emotions mirrored the second I was awake. The bed under me shifted and my blinking startled eyes caught Luke to my side. He abruptly sat upright from under the covers, panicked and gasping.

"What? What?" I demanded, flying up to sit beside him.

My words and my movement made his attention shoot to me. His green eyes were wide and full of fear and anguish. As if he didn't understand and was trapped in a different world. He turned to me and gripped my arms, chest heaving with panic.

"Fuck," he grunted, grinding his teeth together and shutting his eyes. He kicked the covers off and down towards the end of the bed. The nightlight seeping in from the hall allowed for me see sweat along his face. The neckline of his shirt was even damp.

That look and the two more seconds I had to register my awaked state let me recognize what the issue was. "It's okay. I'm here and it was just a dream," I said, shaking my head. "It wasn't real."

"Albany," he said in a vulnerable and gravelly voice. The scrunching around his eyes dissipated and his eyes opened to mine again. Luke's face remained tense with teeth clearly clenched behind his tight lips.

My heart jumped at the sight. Before I could say anything, I couldn't help but slide my hands towards his shoulders. I wrapped them around his damp neck, just wanting to hold him. Just wanting to comfort and help him any possible way I could. He did not deserve this. Out of everyone in this world, this man didn't need this. He was too good.

Inching closer to hug him, there wasn't much else I needed to do. Luke happily leaned forward. Before I could even hold the guy in a proper embrace, he rested his forehead against my shoulder and gave me his weight. His hands moving to rest on my now crossed legs.

Taking the weight of his strong and lean build through where he leaned his head against my shoulder, I rested my arms around him. "It's alright," I whispered after tilting my lips towards his ear.