Chapter 84

Chapter 84

I was laying awake despite exhaustion. This time, not from my shock collar.

It's fake, it's fake you idiot. How couldn't it be? That is what these people do! Mike was not involved, no way in hell. It's Mike! He would not sign his daughter away.

Mike would not do this. But my god, what if he really did? Reid Taylor was good at manipulating because he knew I could see through his shit. When he tried manipulating me, he did so in an obvious, mocking, and teasing manner. So why would he show me documents like that, in such a serious manner, and not shove it in my face? That was a red flag that he wasn't manipulating me.

Wrapped in Luke's coat under the covers, body still damp from another routine hose-down, I wondered about it all. Wondered once again how they got Luke's coat. What could possibly have happened to Luke. Wondered if Mike sold Hailey or not. Wondered if Reid was just that good or if this was real.... The possibilities made me shake, breathe hard, fists clench. I was getting worked up, my thoughts more frantic. What was the truth? Real? Was Luke dead and his father a monster?

Laying there, my mind ran in circles. Screaming, looking at all angles, arguing back and forth... thinking about everything. But why was I suddenly allowing myself to think? I needed to calm down. There was a reason I didn't allow myself to wonder about these things. For my sanity, for the focus my plan required, I couldn't afford to get distracted and emotional.

It had to stay that way. Reid was playing games. That's what I would have to believe for now.

For the rest of that night, it allowed me to contemplate my evolving plan. It allowed me to accept the steps I would have to take. I've also accepted that I couldn't have another restless night after tonight. Tomorrow night, I needed my sleep because the night after that... well, it could be my last.

It could be my last night alive tomorrow. Yup. That delightful knowledge was a surefire way to help get me plenty of sleep, right guys? Fuck me.

***

My plan was simple. As simple as I could get it: kill Reid during dinner and escape right through the huge dining room window. Though it was a simple plan, it did take some very precise and scary steps. Unfortunately, that did involve Hailey.

My heart was racing the entire day; the pace doubled when I saw her. I was quiet and focused as she got me ready. She assumed my silence was for a different reason. "Yesterday and today, you've hardly said a word. Any reason?"

"No."

"It's not because you saw the proof about my dad?" As she straightened the shoulder straps of my tight dress, her gloating eyes looked up to mine.

I couldn't help but scoff. "The fact that you refer to it as 'proof' says a lot."

All I could do was watch her. Size her up. Her uniform complimented her style as always. Her grey polo was unbuttoned towards the top, showing a little cleavage, and had frills. The black pencil skirt highlighted her hips. Next time I see her, I really hope she will be finally out of those clothes.

She was nearly finished getting me ready, touching up my hair with a pick. My eyes darted up to the camera angled in the corner. The whole dressing room was in its sight. Except for one spot: the bathroom next to her vanity. Its where I needed to lure Hailey.

That dressing room bathroom won't just save my ass today. A few days ago, her bathroom was where I managed to find a permanent spot to hide the tracking device: in a vent. After all, I couldn't risk doing it in my own bathroom. They might search there. But they won't even think to search Hailey's bathroom. Therefore, everything will be fine. The FBI will come, take over, and free Hailey. Even if my escape attempt ends with me dead, I will have succeeded in taking this place down. Which is why I could emotionally handle what I was about to do.