Chapter 36

Chapter 36

A few hours later, we finally found a store that would satisfy Jackson. Good thing too. He just continuously became more paranoid, the weirdo. I think he began believing we wouldn't find anything for days. Luckily by about 4:00, we found and parked in front of an establishment. The princess could finally unclench his cheeks.

Going into a big store like this though called for more caution than usual. Luke basically spoke my mind. "Since this place has more cameras, we need to be more careful. Only one of us should go in."

"Then it should be Carter," Jackson said, volunteering the man.

Upon hearing that immediate answer, I watched an amused smirk reach Carter. It turned into a grin when he looked up towards Jackson and spoke. "Oh yeah? Why me, huh?" he asked, stressing his words again.

I could hear Jackson take a deep breath. He was getting impatient with Carter pushing his buttons. "You are the least likely to be recognized – by random people or Reid's followers."

With that, Luke found a scrap piece of paper in the glovebox where we could all write down the things we needed. Seeing what Luke put down before he handed it to me, I wasn't surprised.   He mostly wanted some clothes, which he gave the sizes for.

Continuing with the list he started, you can bet your asses the majority of what I wrote down was food. A lot of it. I was sick of restaurants and fast-food – which says something coming from me. Besides that, I knew it was also important to consider how I could properly change my appearance. Though we all needed to go unrecognized, it was specifically important for me. Knowing having my black hair back probably wouldn't be acceptable, I wrote down supplies needed to dye my hair red. It was better than staying blonde, that was all I could think.

When I finished and handed the paper to Jackson, he finished up the list. He took just as long. I wasn't surprised; he was the one that threw a hissy fit about needing to stop. I'm sure he wrote down anything he could think of that would help us stay hidden.

By the time he was done, he reached in the backseat to hand the folded list to Carter. When Carter took it, sat back, and opened it... of course he would always have some kind of reaction.

Laughing instantly as he glanced it over, he then looked to me with raised his eyebrows. "What the hell? I'm assuming you're the one that gave me the long grocery portion of this list."

I nodded. "You're damn right and I want everything on that list," I said, pointing at it. I had a feeling he would be tempted to skip some of the things on there. He already didn't look excited.

Carter quickly glanced back to the list. "You can't live without jumbo marshmallows, huh?"

"No, I can't."

Food was always important – always. It was especially crucial now that I was in need to keep my mood from drowning over Luke. I was trying as best as I could and I was doing better. It would only be a matter of time until I let it hit me hard again though. Whether it worked or not, magical deliciousness was my best bet to get me through it. 

Rolling his eyes, he looked over the rest of the list. And once again, his smirk reappeared. Looking up with amused eyes, he set them on Jackson. "What happens if they don't carry some things on the list?"

"They better or it's your ass," Jackson snapped. The driver seat blocking him from my sight didn't hide how aggravated he was getting. He craned his arm around towards the backseat and whipped a crumpled up 100-dollar bill at him. "Shut up and go. We are wasting time."

Chuckling at how angry he was randomly becoming, Carter stuffed the list and the money in his pocket. Putting on the hat we used in the past to help disguise ourselves, he got out and was off towards the store. He would take a while but it would be worth it. Trust me, there was better food on the list than jumbo marshmallows.