Chapter 81

Chapter 81

Russia? As in... Not the headquarters. Not here. My entire purpose was on the line. Reid's words pulled the rug out from under me and I was free falling with rickety insides, mentally scrambling and drowning. On the outside, I just stared at the man, frozen in shock and hanging on every moment.

After a long second, he continued speaking. With how close he stood, his voice sounded more intimate than smug. "I invested in a piece of property a while back once we realized you were closing in. Russia was the ideal location for a new headquarters. I have a lot of business in that part of the world, have many associates that agreed to help make it happen, and it's an area where trafficking is common but not noticed. The base and our new home isn't entirely finished yet, but it is enough for us to transfer over soon."

Soon. Apparently, very soon. Possibly, too soon and before the FBI get here. I didn't want to face the possibility. The horror was starting to creep into my bones. "You expect to move your whole operation, all of this, in two weeks."

"No, I expect you and I will be there in two weeks. It will take a while to transfer over all the essentials. But not all my workers or girls are going. While I run things from our new headquarters, this place will become my biggest sect. I'll return regularly for business. It just won't be where I'll reside, oversee, collect all information, and enforce the continuing function of my organization." He clasped his palms together and raised them to his face, resting his smooth chin on his thumbs. "You see, I could afford the FBI discovering this place... but only if it's not the central location for my business."

Reid was right: he couldn't afford it if this place is found right now. Which is the point; that's why we needed to stay right here! My deal with the FBI was to lead them to this location. It wasn't to lead them directly to Reid. That was their job (which would be easy once this place is found - and if Reid is here). But for my part, all I had to do was stay here. Technically, they already have the location because I'm here and with their tracking device. That is how I know my end of the deal is kept... but it meant me staying here until they arrive.

There was a car crash inside me that burned more than the brand marking my skin. My eyes were frozen in Reid's, but my mind was in free-fall mode, trying to grasp at anything, any piece of hope or sanity! I couldn't go anywhere. That's all I could think. Reid could set up a new base all he wants, just don't take me! Because if this location is uncovered anytime soon (which it would be if I stayed here), his new base wouldn't be far enough along. That way if this location is uncovered... Reid would be fucked anyway. For that to happen, I just couldn't go to fucking Russia.

I didn't want to panic or lose hope. I mean two weeks.... That had to be plenty of time for the FBI to show their faces, right? Right? I would think they would get here before then, but I didn't know! I just didn't know; that would be cutting it close.

"You alright?" he asked softly, but an observant flare crossed his expression. Hands dropping, he rested them on my hips. "I didn't mean to drop so much on you. Obviously, this is going to have a huge impact on your everyday life. Like our dining room at the new place might not have a pretty view like the one here."

As if his contact electrocuted me through the dress, I jolted back, but his hands were too strong on my hips and I stayed in place. I couldn't deck him either because I was cuffed. What was worse was his heavily-laced sarcastic words. He made a point. I had no reason to care about any of what he was saying. I've lost all hope, remember?

I tried justifying my display of shock and panic. "Russia isn't around the fucking block! Just because I'm screwed doesn't mean I can't be shocked and don't feel anything."

"What do you feel then?" he smiled. It was such a natural and real smile too. I didn't fucking understand.

"I feel like breaking your hands if you don't get your paws off me. You can take me back to my glass box now."