Chapter 68

Chapter 68

We slipped out from under the pontoon after what felt like forever. Believe me when I say it scared the shit out of me. Bobbing through the water, we heard nothing. Looked everywhere and saw nothing. Yet, it didn't help our paranoia. We knew they were around, looking for us. Especially in this area, which was exactly why we needed to get out now.

No matter how long we stay hidden, these assholes would outlast us. There would be comfortable eyes on and near my property for the next few days. We needed freedom and better cover. Might as well get out now; darkness would help us along with the rain shower that just began.

However, the help of night and rainfall didn't feel like shit by the time we were in the open. Emerging from the icy water, rushing up land on the tips of our feet, we were petrified. Our soaked shaking bodies were exposed, no longer hidden by water. Being in our neighbor's backyard didn't make it any better. There was no cover of trees; anyone could spot us. Anyone, at any freaking time. Knots tied in my stomach. Dread was pumping through my bones.

That's why we didn't stop. We scampered off, knowing damn well we would be seen soon enough. We at least had direction. From my time living here, I knew after a few houses down the river, forest and nature would take over. It was our best bet.

Francis and I sneakily hopped yard to yard, following close beside the river. With each yard crossed, there was a strong temptation. One born from the constant terror, knowing we could be spotted any moment. Each time we ran past a house, I wanted to run up and take refuge, get help, find safety. Or run up to the road. Unfortunately, the assholes would be prepared. Though we were vulnerable where we were, the open road was a guarantee shot to the head.

Thankfully, after each backyard, the houses became scarce. Pines, evergreens, and brush shot up in place, offering cover. To our right, instead of houses, it extended with trees among land that evened out. We became engulfed in the forest. The river to our left was even different, the current stronger, smashing against the now rocky bank.

We slowed to a walk, fear of being seen decreasing with the nature cover. The rush of water concealed our footsteps on the forest floor. The crackling rain helped. It allowed Francis and I to walk side by side without dreading every noise we made. The relief eventually encouraged us to exchange a few words. Pointless words at the moment.

"You know what you're doing, I don't," he whispered, voice reaching over the rain and river. "I'm not as good as you."

"That's why you need the gun."

"Just take it," he insisted, extending the gun for me to grab.

Waving his offer away, I glanced to him beside me. Since a few lines of trees separated us from the river bank, blackness surrounded us. Not enough to miss the peeks of light. It occasionally illuminated us and the forest floor enough to navigate through it. One beam reached his face, revealing his worried eyes.

"Keep it, trust me, I'm fine," I whispered.

His shadow shrugged. Or maybe he was just shaking like I was. Head to toe, we were soaked and freezing – and the rain would keep it that way. I clenched my jaw to stop my teeth from rattling together, droplets falling down my face.

Beyond him, my eyes darted through the woods. Ahead of us, to the right, behind us.... Scanning in search of anyone, any threat. I looked every few moments. Still, there was nobody. Then again, it was hard to see far into the dark. The rain blurred our surroundings too.

Regardless, we didn't stop. We pushed on, continuing our stride. The further away, the better. Yes, sooner or later, we must get out of the forest and back to civilization. We would have to cut away from the riverside and find a way out. A way to get help, get to permanent safety, and tell Jackson about the issue with Luke. None of that could happen unless we're confident we are far enough away from those men. So for now, we walked.