Up

Chapter Seventeen

Eve moved around the kitchen loudly, banging cupboards here and there and slamming as many pots and pans together as she could. She placed a pot full of water on the stove and flicked on the switch.

   “So,” Eve balanced a bag of macaroni against her side as she poured half the bag into the pot. “Let me get this straight, you got partnered up with my brother for some English project and you’re having a literally heart attack about it?”

    I nodded and twisted my hips back and forth on the chair besides the counter which I was sitting at. “Exactly.”

    Eve rolled her eyes and stirred the macaroni. She turned to face me and narrowed her blue eyes at me. “You’re acting ridiculous, Carly. You act like your some divorced married couple that hasn’t spoken for ten years. You had a fight. Big whoop. Get over it, kiss and make up, whatever.”

     “Don’t work in counselling when you’re older.” I grumbled, picking at a piece of paper on the counter.

     “Don’t worry,” she gave a small smile. “I plan on never growing up.”

     I smiled sadly to myself and Eve adjusted the knit hat on her bald head. I noticed she wore some form of head covering every day now and when I had asked her about it she said it was better to hide scars and keep them hidden just for you then to have them on display and leave people to have saddening and pitying thoughts.

     “That’s cool,” I said. “Being a grownup’s overrated anyways.”

     Eve laughed softly and turned back to her pot of macaroni, stirring it up. She left the macaroni alone for awhile and came to sit next to me. She twisted her stool so she was facing me and placed her tiny hands in her lap.

     “Seriously though,” she spoke, rising a barely there eyebrow at me. “What are you going to do about my brother?”

     “I don’t know,” I picked at the edge of my t-shirt and shifted in my seat. “I just, I’m still mad, I think. Actually, I don’t think I’m that mad anymore. I mean, I just see him in the halls and at lunch and in English and a little part of me dies a little cause I see him happy and smiling and I miss him so much.” I stared at Eve with desperate green eyes then flushed. “Sorry, I don’t mean to gross you out; he is your brother so this might be a little weird.”

     She shrugged. “There’s no blood relation between us and besides,” she smiled, “I like you, I think you’re good for Noah.”

    “I don’t think I’m good for anyone.”

    Eve blinked as if confused. She gripped her small and cold hand in my own. “I think you doubt your own self worth too much, Carly. You don’t think you’re special enough for a guy like Noah; you think you’re too damaged for him. Well guess what, Noah’s life ain’t as picture perfect as you think it is. Noah has a dying sister hidden in his closet and a deep sadness that he sometimes likes to hide.”

    I squeezed Eve’s hand back. “And I think that you’re far too advanced and observant for a twelve year old.”

    She grinned suddenly, her whole face lighting up. “I’m going to be thirteen in a week.” She practically sung. “I’m going to be an official teenager.”

    “Well, teenager, you should go check on your Mac & Cheese because something tells me it’s burning.”

    Eve jumped up and turned the macaroni before it became unfixable and poured it into two bowls for us. She poured cheese on the top and handed one to me. We decided to move upstairs to her room and eat there.