Lady and the Tramp

Chapter Thirteen

plopped a pillow on the floor while Noah’s still in the bathroom and grabbed a spare blanket that I found in the closet. I fell into my makeshift bed and snuggled up with the blanket and a satisfied grin. There’s no way I’m sharing a bed with Noah and he made it quite clear that he isn’t sleeping on the floor so this was the only solution. Besides, I’ve slept on worse before. The door to the bathroom clicked and I closed my eyes quickly, trying to even out my breathing.

      Maybe he won’t fight it if he thinks I’m already asleep.

      “Wendy,” Noah whispered before walking closer to my spot on the floor. I heard him shift and forced myself to stay silent. His warm minty breath blew on my face and I forced my body to stay still.

      “Wendy,” he whispered again before poking my cheek. I shot down the urge to bite his finger off.

      He let out a sigh and I heard a shift again. I fought to keep the victorious grin off my face. There was some shuffling and I felt Noah move closer. I couldn’t stop the furrow of my brows as I wondered what the heck he’s doing.

      Hands grabbed me around my waist and my eyes shot open as I let out a squeal as I was lifted up into Noah’s arms. Noah looked down at me with sparkling blue eyes and a smug grin. “I knew you weren’t asleep.”

     “Noah, put me down!” I yelped, squirming as his arms tightened on me. He began to walk towards the bed before he dropped me gently onto one side of the mattress.

     “You know you can’t keep me here,” I told him through a yawn, stretching out on the bed.

     He laughed. “It doesn’t seem like you want to move.”

     I slid under the blankets and cuddled into them. “I’m weak, sue me. And pass me my pillow.”

    Noah threw the pillow at me and I caught it, placing it under my head before relaxing again and closing my eyes. The bed dipped on the other side as Noah slipped into the bed and I felt my body tense up. I forced myself to relax, breathing out through my nose and closing my eyes again.

    Noah let out a soft groan as he moved the blankets around and settled in. I stuffed my face in my pillow and squeezed my eyes tight.

     It was silent after a bit, nothing but mine and Noah’s breathing. I relaxed into the bed and tried to get some sleep, knowing Noah would probably be banging around in the morning at the first sign of light. I was exhausted but couldn’t find myself falling asleep. It was like I was on the brink but some part of me was fighting it hard.

    Why couldn’t I be this persistent during the end of the Notebook? I missed a half hour of heartbreaking sadness.

     I let out a moan and twisted in bed, stuffing my head further into my pillow.

     “Carly,” Noah whispered, his voice sounding louder than intended in the silence.

     I let out a low grumble and curled my legs in on themselves.

     “Are you awake?” he whispered again.

     “No,” I grumbled.

     “You sound awake.”

     “Well, I’m not.”

     I heard Noah shuffle then felt his body beside mine. Our legs brushed and I hurriedly moved to the edge of the bed.