Pinocchio

Chapter Fifteen

“Carly Ann, will you be my girlfriend?”

   I stared at Aiden like a fumbling idiot, not blinking and certainly not saying anything, hell; I don’t think I was even breathing.

    “Umm,” I fumbled and his bright blue eyes dimmed slightly. The flowers that he held in his hands lowered to his side and he breathed in. “I mean, um, we only went on one date? Are you sure?”

     Are you sure? Seriously, Carly?

    Aiden gave a strained laugh. “I’m pretty sure,” he stepped closer to me so our toes touched. He managed a small smile. “I really like you, Carly Ann.”

    I swallowed. “I like you too,” do I? “I just–isn’t this a little fast?”

    He wobbled back and forth on his heels. “Not really?”

    Great, neither one of us can give a sure answer.

    “Umm,” I mumbled again. Aiden’s expression got dimmer and dimmer. “Can you give me time to decide?”

    Time to decide? He’s not asking you to marry him, make up you damn mind! Yes or no. Simple.

     It doesn’t feel simple.

     Aiden brightened slightly and he bobbed his head rapidly. “Of course,” He shoved the flowers in my arms and smiled softly. “I’ll meet you at your locker at the end of the day and I’ll leave you only for the rest of the day so you can decide.”

     He bent and kissed my cheek softly, his lips lingering for a little longer than a second. “See you soon.”

     He was gone in a second, waving behind his back.

     I collapsed on my locker with the stupid roses staring up at me with their stupid prettiness and racked a hand through my hair. That was totally not what I expected when I showed up this morning. Aiden had cornered me at my locker and waited before the halls were empty to ask me that question and shove his stupidly pretty flowers in my face.

     All I wanted to do today was hopefully get back and into a normal routine and I also had plans to patch things up with Cherry, mostly so I could have her as a backup if Aiden went south and I didn’t have to seem pathetic and cling off of Noah all senior year.

     This, this question from Aiden, this I was not expecting.

    And too be honest, I have absolutely no idea what my answer is. Sure, Aiden’s a decent guy, but do I really want to be dating him? And, I think I was right when I said this is a bit fast. I mean, in the movies they at least go on a couple dates before taking that leap to couple’s town. Also, why would a guy like Aiden be interested in dating me? A date was shocking enough but to actually be boyfriend and girlfriend, that’s just plain weird. Something deep inside of me wanted to believe that maybe he really did just like me but that seems just too farfetched.

    Aiden is supposed to date girls like Brittany Shaw, not geeks like me. And maybe I’m being a bit too old fashioned and stereotypical but I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it. I’m not exactly a complete social reject either; I mostly just keep to myself and don’t talk. I’m not one of those geeks that where unicorn sweaters and have my cat as my phone screen saver. Also, I certainty ain’t some super genius. I do alright in English and I’m passing Chemistry with a B- on the best of days so I’m not exactly a keener nor am I a flunker.