Mickey Mouse

Chapter Twelve

“Sure,” Becky said calmly over the phone. “Have fun.”

    I spat ramen noodles out of my mouth and peeled myself from the carpeted floor. “Wait,” I said. “I don’t think your hearing me clearly. Noah and I plus alone in a hotel for a weekend Times Square equals we go in debt and the possibility of becoming pregnant. What type of legal guardian are you, women? You would risk the child under your care in a big city all by her lonesome when God only knows what could happen. Besides the fact that we have like, negative zero dollars — have you hit your head recently or have you just gone completely bat-shit crazy?”

    “Carly,” she stated before heaving a sigh, “calm down. I’ve been saving up money from extra shifts at the diner and mom won a free night at the Marriot Marque, which is directly in the heart of Times Square, so you won’t even have to worry about transportation.” There was some rustling before Becky breathed out again. “This’ll be good for you, Carly. You’ve never outside of Brooklyn and you’ve lived in New York for seventeen years. Go, and have fun.”

     Becky hung up before I could answer.

     I let out a hiss of frustration and rested my back against the couch, flipping my phone open and closed before I finally got the courage to type in Noah’s number.

    It rang twice before Noah answered. “Hello, you’ve reached the Peter Pan Hotline, if you would like a trip to Neverland, please press one, if you’re a somewhat rude and crude red head who has phoned to break the news that she cannot come to Times Square with an amazingly attractive blonde, please hang up—”

    “Noah,” I cut him off in irritation. “Were you born annoying or did someone make you that way?”

    “I like to think I’m the way I am due to myself and myself only, so I’m going to go with the first one, ‘cause baby, I was born this way.”

    “I’m starting to rethink my decision of being alone with you for a whole weekend.”

    “Why? I’m an awesome human being that no one can—oh my God, you’re going?!” Noah screamed down the line his voice booming.

    I winced and pushed the phone away from my ear. “Yes, I’m going. But keep in mind I can switch my decision at any point, so quite you’re hollering.”

    “You better pack quickly, Wendy. I’ll be at your house in approximately twenty two minutes and thirty seven seconds.”

      And then he hung up.

    Noah wasn’t kidding when he said I had to pack quickly. I practically zoomed around my room like the Flash, shoving everything that I deemed too important to leave behind into a small duffel bag before zipping it up and throwing it down the hall to rest next to the door. Naturally, I forgot a few things and as I was collecting them from my room, the doorbell rang. And rang. And rang.

    “Noah, God dammit!” I cried, skimming my way across the floor and racing to the porch. My socks slid along the hardwood as I wrenched the door open angrily.

    Noah strolled in, looking as much as the attractive blonde he claimed to be. His curls were a wild mess and I wondered if I woke him up.

    He sent me a lazy grin and winked. “Nice panties.”

    I flushed an angry red as I noticed the underwear in my arms and hastily shoved it in the duffel bag with the rest of my things.

    Noah bent and grabbed the bag from my arms before swinging it over his shoulder. He gave me an excited grin. “Ready?”