Patton x Reader

A/N: I promise you aren't dead. That's not what Literal-Mess requested.

Enjoy being alive in this oneshot!

You walked down a sidewalk, avoiding the few people who were out and about in the middle of a Saturday. You were on your way to the local pet shelter, with-

"(Y/n)? How much longer? I can't wait to see all the puppies!" Your little sibling, (S/n) [Sibling Name] excitedly looked up at you.

You gave them a gentle smile, and looked up.

"Not much longer. See that blue building up ahead? That's where we're going!"

They squealed in excitement, and dashed ahead into the pet shelter.

"(S/n), wait!" Panic overtook your body and adrenaline rushed in. You ran as fast as you could, wondering how your little sibling was faster than you.

"(S/n)! (S/n)! Come here!" You ran inside the building an called out for them, hoping they were there somewhere and nothing happened.

A man wearing a blue polo shirt, khakis, and a gray cardigan wrapped around his shoulders came out, holding (S/n)'s hand.

"Is she/he/they your older brother/sister/sibling?" He asked, looking down at (S/n).

"Yeah! That's her/him/them!" They excitedly ran over to you, and you knelt down and held them tight.

"We have to stay together, okay? Nothing bad can happen to you while you're with me, okay? Don't run off again, unless I tell you, alright?" You squeezed them one last time before letting (S/n).

The reason you were so paranoid was because three years ago, your parents had gone out for a date, but they never came back.

You found out why when a police officer came to your house.

Luckily, you were over the legal age in your country so you could take your sibling and move into a smaller, more affordable apartment. From there, your new life began. You had promised your little sibling that once you had a good job (You found a stay-at-home job that payed well), you'd get a puppy, since the place you were living in allowed pets.

You stood up, and gripped (S/n)'s hand tightly,not wanting to lose them again.

"Well, I'm (Y/n) and this is (S/n). Could we see the dogs you currently have?" You turned towards the man in the gray cardigan. His nametag said 'Patton'.

"Of course! Follow me." He grinned at you, and began walking towards a door. Once he opened it, the sound of barking filled your ears.

"Sorry, they get excited when the door opens. It usually means something good." Patton laughed nervously.

"It's okay, we don't mind!" You looked down at (S/n). "Right?"

They looked up at you, their eyes gleaming with excitement and happiness. "Right!"

After about an hour, you twice had decided on a German Shepherd puppy. She was female, and the rest of her litter had been adopted. (Picture below. Not mine, I found it on the internet.)

After signing the paperwork, you had her on a leash and she was paying with (S/n)

"Hey, can I ask a personal question?" Patton came up next to you. (S/n) was distracted by their new puppy, so they didn't hear you two talking.

"Oh, sure!" You turned to face him and smiled.

"What happened to your parents? (S/n) said you were their older sister/brother/sibling, but on the paperwork you said there's only the two of you living together."

You were shocked, and even though you didn't really want to talk about your parents, you felt like you could trust this man.

"Well... They're gone. They have been for three years now. Now I take care of (S/n), and I try to give her the childhood she deserves."

Patton looked sad for you. "I'm so sorry. Is there anyway I can help?"

You were taken aback by his question. "No, thank you... But thanks for offering!" 

You were about to call (S/n) when you felt a hand on your shoulder. Patton gave you a sad smile, and handed you a piece of paper with a series of numbers written on it.

"Promise me, whenever you need any help, you'll call me?" 

"...Okay."

•|TIME ELAPSED- FIVE YEARS|• 

It's been five great years since you met Patton. During that time, you had developed feelings for the kind-hearted, playful man and ended up confessing to him. Turns out, he had a crush as well! Now you two are married, and live together. (S/n) named the puppy 'Scout', and they're the greatest friends ever. Scout's always sad whenever (S/n) has to leave, and (S/n) is sad that they can't bring their puppy everywhere with them.

Patton helped you recover from the devastating loss of your parents, and he helped to support you and your little sibling.

All in all, it's a happy ending.