Ch. 18 Save My Soul

THE PACK
[2×16]

I HEADED OUT TO THE BAYOU WITH MY SISTER AND BROTHER IN-LAW, IN NEED OF AN ESCAPE FROM THE COMPOUND. I had brought Lilly with me and left Klaus on Hope duty. I could tell being cooped up in the compound was killing the energetic three year old. She didn't have any kids to play with and she didn't have much space to play in in the first place.

My daughter wasn't the only one who needed away from the compound, though. I had thought things would be normal when we got back home from Mystic Falls, but Klaus had thrown himself into working on every little problem we had. I didn't blame him, we had a lot of problems. But we were barely seeing each other.

I would be fine if I didn't know Klaus as well as I did. I could wave it off and say he was busy, but I knew better. He was avoiding me and I knew why.

Jack and Aiden were sparring. I had had to explain to Lilly that they weren't trying to hurt each other, just showing off. "Why do they have to fight to show off?" she asked.

"Because," I said, smiling, "they both know me and your Aunt Hayley are stronger and just want to show that they still have some manhood left."

She laughed at that. "Come on," I told her. I stood up to play with her for a little while.

She ran off to hide, and I stood by the cabin counting. In reality, I was watching Jackson and Aiden and just pretending to be counting. I had my ears open to make sure she didn't wander too far.

"Ho-ho-ho. You're getting faster," Jackson said, grabbing Aiden's elbow before it made contact with his face.

"Maybe you're getting slower," Aiden told him.

Hayley walked out onto the porch and handed me a mug of coffee. The guys started fighting again, which resulted with Aiden on the ground. "Keep your head up. Low center. Guard your face," Jack told him.

Aiden jumped to his feet and resumed fighting. It wasn't long before Jackson got the upper hand again. All of a sudden, Jackson let go and stumbled away from him yelling and cursing.

"Language," I said. Jackson glared at me, and I saw the blood on his arm. Had Aiden seriously just bit him? "Lilly, baby, Mommy's taking a break for a minute," I yelled, stepping off the porch. She came out of the woods, looking disappointed.

"You left yourself wide open," Aiden told the alpha.

"It was your idea to come out here and spar. I'm doing this for you," Jackson reminded him.

Lilly's disappointment turned to worry and she moved to my side. She clearly didn't like the two men yelling at each other. I wrapped my arms around her to try to make her feel better.

"Oh, for me? You're leading a pack of super wolves. How long before they decide they don't wanna take orders? Because the only way you can stay alpha is by always staying the strongest," Aiden said, getting in his face.

"You guys done?" I asked, deciding to break this up. "This macho stuff is adorable, but don't make me come out there and kick both your as-" Lilly looked up at me, "-butts." I gave her a wide smile.

|

Hayley and Jackson started sparring. Hayley wouldn't with me anymore, she said I fought dirty and I couldn't say she was wrong. I had learned to fight to survive, not to play fair. I sat at a picnic table playing with Lilly. She had brought some of her toys with her.