Ch. 19 Moon Over Bourbon Street

PARTY
[1×17]

I TRIED MY BEST TO STAY IN THE BAYOU UNTIL THE NEXT FULL MOON. The thing was that while I loved my sister and Eve was great, I just didn't feel at home in the bayou. But when the full moon came, I was out there with the wolves. Hayley was close by in the woods, being the only one in wolf form. All of them turned human and I fed them the cure. We all watched nervously as the full moon disappeared. A sigh of relief went out as no one turned back. I actually hugged Jackson, who was very happy to be human for a whole month.

I decided to stay a few days after that. It was obvious the wolves weren't exactly sure about that decision. I was a Labonair, but I wasn't a wolf. They accepted Hayley more than me, and it was obvious.

Today everyone was watching as two of the guys fought. I was standing with Hayley and Jackson, who didn't seem nearly as awkward around each other as I thought they would be.

I had also been surprised to learn that Jackson was pretty good with kids. I was getting closer to my due date, meaning carrying and playing with Lilly was getting a little bit difficult. He had started helping me out while I was in the bayou.

"Shouldn't you be out there playing fight club with the rest of the frat boys?" Hayley asked Jackson.

"Nah. That's just for pecking order. They already know who's the alpha," Jackson told us. Me and Hayley rolled our eyes.

"Besides, I think my date might get mad at me if I run off on her," he said, looking at Lilly who he was holding. I smiled.

"You know, she is never going to learn to walk if she never gets to stand on the ground," Hayley told me.

"She can walk. As long as she is still small enough to be carried around, I'm going to let her be," I said.

Hayley shook her head. "I question your parenting skills. Did you ever even read a parenting book?" she asked.

"Of course not. I don't need someone to tell me how to raise my kid. She can walk, she has only swallowed one rock, mostly potty trained, and can at least say enough words for me to understand when she wants food and when she needs to go to the bathroom," I said. "I think I'm doing fine."

"She swallowed a rock?" Hayley asked, looking shocked.

"I took her to the ER and they said she would be fine," I snapped.

Hayley shook her head. "Again, I really question your parenting," she said.

"Every kid swallows a rock at some point! I did, Caroline did, babies stick things in their mouths, it is normal," I defended myself.

|

Jackson took us to a barn, where they had set up lunch. We grabbed plates, then looked around at all the food. Had the entire pack cooked?

"You gotta try Tucker's ribs," he told us.

"Then what? We're gonna play horseshoes?" Hayley teased.

"Hey, don't mock country living, darlin'," Jackson told her.

"Sorry, this is just a lot more family fun than I'm used to," Hayley told Jackson.

"Me too. My parents weren't really family fun people," I told them.

"Well, maybe I can help you two get used to it," Jackson offered. I rolled my eyes as him and Hayley looked at each other.