Ch. 15 Stay

GOODBYES
[6×14]

THE HOUSE WAS EMPTY WHEN KLAUS AND I ARRIVED TO MY FORMER HOME IN MYSTIC FALLS. Damon had already taken my mom to her last day of work and Caroline was trying to get our old lake house ready so that our mom could stay there for her last few days.

Caroline had explained everything to me. Our mom had cancer and there was nothing the doctors could do. Chemo wouldn't help and it had spread too much for surgery. Caroline had tried to use vampire blood to help her, but had ended up speeding up the process instead. She didn't have much time left.

Me and Klaus got our stuff unpacked in my bedroom. My mom hadn't changed anything since I moved out, in my room or Lilly's. We put the girls in the living room, keeping them distracted with Frozen.

We were almost done unpacking when I heard the door open. I walked into the entry way, seeing my mom and Damon entering.

I was shocked by how different my mom looked. She was skinnier and didn't have hardly any color left. I plastered a smile on my face anyway. She looked exhausted, but did the same as soon as she saw me.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, hugging me. I wanted to hold onto her and never let her go, but at the same time I was scared I would hurt her if I held on too tight.

"Caroline told me," I said, moving to hug Damon.

She sighed. "She shouldn't have," she told me.

"Well, I'm glad she did since it is obvious you weren't planning on doing so," I said.

"You have enough problems. I didn't want you to pause your entire life to come running here to take care of me," she said.

"Hey, we both knew that when you got old I was going to be here," I teased.

She rolled her eyes. "You make me feel so much better," she said.

Klaus joined us in the entryway. "Klaus," my mother acknowledged.

"Sheriff," he said.

"Just call me Liz, I'm not the sheriff anymore," she told him.

I frowned. I didn't remember a time when my mom hadn't been a cop. Sensing my feelings, Klaus wrapped an arm around me. "Uh, I didn't just come here to take care of you. We also had some news," I told her.

"Oh, please tell me you aren't pregnant again," my mom said, worry in her voice.

I smiled. "No," I said. "Go look in the living room."

Her and Damon went to the living room, where Hope and Lilly were still watching Frozen. I wished I had a camera because I had never seen my mom look so happy. "How are they here?" she asked.

"We sent them away to keep them safe, but now they are," I said. I looked at her, sadness creeping back up. "I wanted Hope to meet you."

"Hope? That's her name?" she asked, picking the baby up.

I nodded. "Hope Forbes-Mikaelson," I said.

"Hope Mikaelson," Klaus corrected.

"Yes, Hope Forbes-Mikaelson," I said.

"Why?" Klaus asked.

"Because she's a Forbes like me and Lilly and she is a Mikaelson," I told him, crossing my arms over my chest.