Ch. 12 Après Moi, Le Déluge

DAVINA
[1×11]

I SAT IN A STUDY WITH ELIJAH AND HAYLEY, TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY DAVINA HAD BEEN DRAWING CELESTE. I had learned about her from my sister. Celeste was apparently Elijah's witch ex from about two centuries ago. Me and Hayley were very motivated to figure it out, given that Hayley had told me about how she went behind everyone's back to help Sophie find Celeste's remains.

"The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of west Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them hexa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina," Elijah told me and Hayley.

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection," Klaus said, entering the room. "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portrait of evil according to our volatile artist in residence."

"Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two hundred years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?" Elijah asked, taking a seat.

"Why does any witch do anything?" Klaus wondered, sitting as well. Only Klaus sat down next to me. He wrapped an arm around me. I bit my tongue as I stood up. I went and sat down by Elijah, not looking at the hybrid.

We heard something crash, interrupting the awkward silence. "Well, that's going well," Klaus said. All of us knew it had to be Davina.

"If you were trying to gain the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea," Elijah told his brother.

"Oh, we all know how good Klaus is at poisoning love," I muttered.

"Is there any other inopportune deaths or bad choices the two of you would like to wave in my face?" Klaus asked.

"Give us a month," Elijah told him.

"Oh, no. A month for the deaths, a year for the choices," I corrected.

"We'll get you a list," Elijah promised.

Klaus laughed slightly, but then we all heard another crash. "Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the a-"

"Careful. I know my toddler isn't currently in the room, but she's copied way too many new words since moving in," I said, interrupting the hybrid.

Klaus rolled his eyes, standing up to go see what was going on with Davina.

Elijah went back to studying the sketches. I looked over at my sister. Tell him, I mouthed.

She nodded and sat up. "Elijah, uh, there's something you need to know," she said.

Elijah looked up, but before any of us could say anything, the house began shaking. We all stood as books started falling from the shelves. We ran out to the balcony, and Marcel and Klaus ran out to the one opposite us. "What is going on?" I asked.

"Davina," Klaus said.

|

I was sitting in one of the many studies, reading, when Klaus walked in. "Did you get some of your anger out by helping Elijah attack me this morning?" he wondered, a teasing tone to his voice.