Chapter 49: My Baby Girl

I looked up at Cooper and smiled as the tears started to roll down my cheeks. “I promise I will.” I nodded my head before laying it on his shoulder as another song started to play for everyone else to dance to too.

“I love you.” I sighed. He smirked.

“Good because you’re stuck with me.” He kissed the top of my ear.

“Yeah but you’re stuck with me too.” I giggled at him. I felt him chuckle.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” I heard a cough and looked over at Grammy and raise an eye brow.

“It about time you go dance with your father.” She smiled and pulled me out of Cooper’s warm arms. Dad stood there still in every piece of his dress blues.

“As every girl wants to do on her wedding day, and every father waits for, can I have the bride and her Dad in the middle of the dance floor for their dace.” The DJ said over the microphone.  People cleared off the floor so only Dad stood there. I walked over slowly. He took me in his arms and smiled down at me.  My little Girl by Tim McGraw started to play. I felt the tears start to fall because this was my favorite song when I was little because it reminded me on him.

Gotta hold on easy as I let you go
Gonna tell you how much I love you
Though you think you already know
I remember I thought you looked like an angel wrapped in pink so soft and warm
You've had me wrapped around your finger since the day you were born

You beautiful baby from the outside in
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again
Go on, take on this whole world
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl

When you were in trouble that crooked little smile could melt my heart of stone
Now look at you, I've turned around and you've almost grown
Sometimes you're asleep I whisper "I Love You" in the moonlight at your door
As I walk away, I hear you say, "Daddy Love You More"

Your beautiful baby from the outside in
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again
Go on, take on this whole world
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl

Someday, some boy will come and ask me for your hand
But I won't say "yes" to him unless I know, he's the half
That makes you whole, he has a poet's soul, and the heart of a man's man
I know he'll say that he's in love
But between you and me
He won't be good enough

Your beautiful baby from the outside in
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again
Go on, take on this whole world
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl

My jaw wobbled as I looked at him. He pressed his lips to my forehead. “I love you Baby girl.” He said as the tears rolled down his face. “No pin head marine change that, no matter what.” He tried to stop the tears. “I love you.”

“Oh Daddy.” I threw my arms around him and hugged him tight. The tears ran down my face like it was a race. I looked around and saw Cooper smiling. Grammy was wiping the tears and rubbing Poppy’s arm as he smiled blinking back his own tear. The party went on and I danced with Cooper’s Dad and his brother making jokes about them being ones of the only men in suits. I talked to my Dad’s old friends, cried some more, talked to my new mother-in-law, talked to Amber and Mir, there both engaged and Amber’s even pregnant…….ha just joking. They want some kids after the wedding, but the way Taylor looks at her she will be pregnant sooner rather than later. The night was coming to a close and I was standing in the middle of the dance floor with only a couple of people left. My head was on his chest when I heard it.

“Grace Robert.” I heard snapped at me. I opened one eye to see my ‘mother’ standing there.

“Great way to ruin a night.” I mumbled before I turned to look at her.

“What?” I snapped back.

“What are you doing?!? You are going to ruin your life!” She yelled. She stood there with this man who was, well short. He looked about 5’8.

“No Mom we are not all like you!” I yelled back.

“Really? You sure because you are my daughter, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” She smirked at me. My blood ran cold. “Oh, I must have hit a nerve there didn’t I?”

“Screw you Mom, lease I will stay with my kids instead of leave them standing on the door step on their birthday.” She looked down knowing she forgot.

“I didn’t know. I-” She stopped. “Lease I can have kids.” She smirked, all humanness gone from her eyes.

“Get the hell out of here you’re not welcome here and you know that.” Grammy yelled at her.

“Oh I just came to wish her a happy wedding day, and to see how her hands are.” She shrugged. The man behind her moved letting me see the little boy behind his leg. He looked at me and gave a little smile at me.

“What’s wrong with her hands?” Cooper said. Mom started to grin.

“You never told them? Well when I saw her she had them bandaged.” She crossed her hands. Cooper looked at me. He took both of my hands and pulled off the gloves to show the band-aided coved palms.

“Grace, what did you?” He asked gently running his hands over them.

“Nothing to worry about, I promise. What do you want Mom? You ruined my wedding, you happy?” I snapped. She looked at Kirsty who was holding Logan.

“It that him? Is that my grandson?” She asked taking a step towards them.

“No that’s Jesse’s son and his soon to be wife.” I snapped stepping in front of her.  I finally got a better look at the little boy by the man’s legs. She looked at where I was looking.

“Oh you see him? That’s you brother.”