Chapter 34: Semper Fi

All day I was on Cooper’s arm like my life depended on it. Jesse was holding Logan and watching him, and it was so cute. We ran into Alex and Aurie and Ruben, Alex’s boyfriend and Aurie’s father. I couldn’t help but laugh and call him a sandwich. We were eating at the mess hall laughing. It turned out Jesse and Cooper are good friends with Ruben.

“Gracie, you okay?” Cooper whispered into my ear, as I watched Ruben hold his baby girl.

“Yeah I’m fine baby. You ready to go to Kentucky to get married?” I smiled at him.

“I can’t wait for you to be my wife.” He kissed my neck softly.

“Did you get the guard of honor all sorted out?” I asked him taking a bite of my sandwich. He looked at me wide eyed.

“I, um I, I” I gave him a glare.

“You forgot didn’t you?” I groaned and slapped him. He caught my hand as I went to smack him again. Jesse laughed at us.

“Coop what did you do now?” He asked feeding Logan a bottle.

“I might have forgot to get the guard of honor for our wedding.” Kirsty looked at him before smacking him too.

“You’re an idiot Cooper.” Ruben looked over from where he sat with his baby girl.

“What did Cooper do?”

“He forgot to get the guard of honor for our wedding that is in three days.” I sighed picking up my phone and texting Connor.

“I’m sorry the whole boot camp thing is getting me.” He kissed my head. Ruben looked at us.

“You’re getting married in 3 days? I knew you guys were engaged but…..” He trailed off. I shrugged.

“You’re a first generation Marine aren’t you?” He nodded.

“Why?” Alex put her hand on his arm and shook her head.

“When deployment is an option on your mind were you can be stationed at Camp Pendleton in California to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina to Japan. The Corps don’t care. If you are not married you can’t permanently live on base. If after boot camp Cooper gets sent to Japan and we are married I get to live with him and I don’t have to worry about living costs. My Dad always says a Military relationship has to move faster than a normal one.” I said snuggling into Cooper’s strong arms. Ruben looked at me.

“I guess I never thought about it that way.” He says quietly. I guess he never thought about what would happen after boot camp. I think I just made him see the light. That night we took Alex and Cooper’s family out for dinner. It was fun, we went back to the house and Aurie and Logan were playing together. They started off a good friendship already. I was sitting at the pool with my feet in the water when Dad sat next to me.

“Hey.” He smiled. I smiled back before dangling my hand in the water so my finger tips skimmed the top. “What’s wrong?” He asked. I looked up at him from under my eyelashes.

“What give it away that something is wrong?” I asked looking back at the water.

“Oh I don’t know about it, oh I don’t know 11 o’clock and you are sitting at the pool with you feet in looking like someone kicked a puppy in front of you.” He put his arms around me. “Oh and I’m your Dad so I know when something is wrong with my baby.” I sighed and leaned my head on his shoulder.

“I guess what I said at lunch really hit me.” I sat drawing little patterns in the water.

“What about the whole different bases and how if you don’t marry Cooper you won’t get to live with him?” I looked at him.

“I guess him being a marine has finally set in. He can be sent anywhere over the world and he could get killed.” I looked at him with a sad look thinking about what could happen.

“Or he could walk into the street and get hit by a car. He is a marine now and you can’t do anything about it. He is strong and all the D.I. thinks he will make a fine marine.” He said rubbing my shoulders.

“You talked to the drill instructors?”

“Yeah when you were touring the place. I know a couple of them because they were in my platoon so I got to talk to them. Not the point Grace. Cooper will make a great marine I am sure of it.” He pressed his lips to my head.

“But what about if he gets stationed in Japan? What am I going to do?” I asked blinking back tears.

“You fallow him and be the best Marine Wife I know you can be. You know what Grandma always tells you to remember?” I nodded wiping the tears from my cheeks.

“Behind every Marine there is a stronger woman standing in the silent ranks.” I smiled remembering Grandma, I can’t wait to see her and grandpa when we go up to their lake house in Kentucky to get married in two days.

“That’s right so I know you can be a strong woman and a stronger marine wife. You never forget where you came from my baby girl.” He kissed my head getting up.

“Semper Fi.” I nodded.

“Ooh-Rah baby girl. You will always make them go Ooh-Rah.” He started to walk back to the room. “Don’t stay out too late. You will get to pick up your Marine tomorrow.” He said walking back into the motel room.

I always grew up to Semper Fi. It was like a ‘brush your teeth’ thing. I know I could be in Cooper’s silent ranks. I love him so much. It has to be pre-marriage nerves. I know I want to spend the rest of my life with Cooper no matter what. He is my everything. Nothing will or could ever change that. He means the world to me. I will be his marine wife and that is life. Life’s a bitch, if it was a slut it would be to easy. I have to add this to my life quotes. I sighed got up from the pool and walked to the motel room. I would have to wait for tomorrow till I can finally bring my marine home……………