Chapter 15: You Look Green

When I woke up, I crutched slowly to the kitchen. Connor sat at the table reading the news paper sipping a cup of coffee.  “Hey Connor,” I sighed taking a deep breathes.

“Hey, Morning Kiddo.” He smiled. I looked out the window.

“How long have I been sleeping?” I asked rubbing my eyes.

“Well you fell asleep about 12 yesterday. It’s about 9 now so I say about 16 hours.” I raised my eyebrows. “Yeah you were out cold. I guess it was your pain pills. That’s what Megs said.” He said mostly to himself.

“Wait how do you know Megs?” I asked eyeing him. A blush crept up on his neck, and ears.

“I had a date with her yesterday morning.” He said in a small voice.

“Aw my big brother has a crush on my doctor.” I screwed up my nose. “Ew my brother has a crush on my doctor.” Connor laughed plopping a plate of eggs in front of me. I took a bite and it didn’t sit well. I sat there for a moment before I put down my fork.

“Grace are you okay? You look green.” I heard Connor say. I felt my stomach start to heave as I hopped over to the sink just in time to puke everything in my stomach.  I felt Connor hold my hair back and rub my back. I stood there with my hand on both sides of the sink waiting to see if I had anything else in my stomach that would like to leave. “You okay now?” I heard Connor ask as I stood shaking.

“I don’t know, give me a minute.” I sighed hiccupping. Connor rubbed my back grabbing his cell phone.

Megs*Hey Connor

Con* Hey Meg, can I ask you something?

Megs* Sure shoot

Con* Should I be alarmed if Grace just got up, took a bite of eggs, then turned green and puked everything in her stomach?

Meg* I would have to say no, why?

Just then I started to puke again. The tears started to form in my eyes as it hurt when it come up.

Meg* Okay that did not sound good. Do you want be to come over and look at her?
Connor* I think you should she looks pale now, what should I do?

Meg* I want you to lay her on her bed and put an ice pack on her forehead. I will see you soon.

Connor*Okay, see you soon.

He hung up and gently lifted me up and took me to my room. He laid me down on my bed and put a quilt around me. I snuggled into my pillow as he got me a bathroom trash can with a garbage bag in it for if I have to throw up again. He got me an icepack and laid it on my forehead. I felt the sweat all over my body as I lad there looking at my ceiling……….

Megs came through the door with her bag Connor stood up. “Were is she?” She asked.

“Her room,” he pulled her to my room where I laid watching TV under the safety of my blanket. She sat down on the edge and stroked my hair.

“How do you feel?” She asked. I took a deep breath then winced.

“I think I threw up my pain pill.” I winced. She pulled out an IV and put it in my arm. I flinched.

“I am giving you some pain meds, and some liquids that you won’t puke up.” I nodded weakly. Man I just woke up and know all I want to do is sleep. “I’m going to the hospital to sigh you out some anti-nausea medication.”  She smiled as I started to close my eyes because of the pain meds. Connor kissed my head and walked out with her.

“Is she going to be okay?” He asked wrapping his arms around her waist from behind.

“I think she just caught something when she was on the ground.” She said turning around in his arm. She kissed him and smiled.  “I should go get the meds them I will come back okay? Go make sure your sister doesn’t get sick in her sleep.” She kissed him one last time before she left. Con walked back to my room to see me fast asleep. He smiled and kissed my head……….

I woke up to someone stroking my hair. When I opened my eyes Cooper was laying next to me stroking my hair. “Hey,” I whispered.

“Hey,” He smiled. “Connor told me what happened this morning. Are you feeling better?” He said his fingers running over the IV in my arm. I shrugged snuggling into his body.

“I don’t feel really nauseas any more, but I still feel weak.” I said taking in the smell of his body and the smell of the room. “You took a shower here?” I asked looking up. I saw a bag on the chair in my room.

“Well I told my mom what was happening and well she said if I wanted to, and I still went to school, that I could stay with you for a while, if that’s okay? Because I know your Uncle Charlie isn’t at home a lot, and Jesse wants to be spending a lot of time with Kirsty, and I wanted to spend more time with you.” He looked down at me.

“Cooper its fine.” I smiled and snuggled closer.

“Baby can we talk.” He asked stroking my hair.

“Sure.” I said.

“I want you to know that,” He took a deep breath. “I want to be a marine.” He closed his eyes. I looked up at him for a minute.  It stumped me for a minute. I always did want to date a Marine; but am I strong enough to deal with the stress? Or will I be like my mom? Will I have three kids, but one day leave them sitting on the door steps waiting for mom to come home and let us in and make dinner? Will I destroy the life of 3 kids, and a make a Marine, tough as hell, cry? I don’t want to be. But will I?