Chapter 17: Scream Heard Round The Town

I woke up to the front door closing and muffed voices. I slipped out of Cooper’s warm arms. When I limped over, I didn’t feel like using my crutches so I just walked on my heel, I saw Kirsty holding an ice pack to her face. “What did you do now?” I groaned. Jesse and Kirsty jumped and looked at me.

“Grace, you’re up!” Kirsty said looking over at me. I gently lifted the ice pack off her face. She had a black eye forming. She sighed as I gently put it back on it.

“Who?” I asked.

“Vicky, we say her at the dinner and she asked again. Now they are going to keep her in Jail, the Cop said.” Kirsty nodded in agreement. I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck.

“I, I can’t handle this. I’m going back to bed.” I turn on my heels and walked, well limped, back to bed. I crawled into Cooper’s arms and cuddled into his chest crying silently. He wrapped his arms around me.

“What’s wrong baby?” He whispers into my hair. I looked up at him. He kissed my wet cheeks.

“Vicky got at it with Jesse and Kirsty again.” I cried and he pulled me into his chest.

“I’m sorry baby. I love you.” He kissed my head and hugged me tight……….

The next day I had got up at 10, as I still was not allowed to go to school yet, and made lunch. Coop was still fast asleep in my room as he took work home to do.  I had fish sticks in the oven with smiley face French fries with it. I felt arms around my waist as I was watching something on the TV we had in the kitchen. “I don’t think you should be walking on that young lady.” Cooper said in my ear. I giggled and turned in his arms.

“Yeah but I never listen to doctors.” I smiled.

“You better listen to me young lady.” Meg said causing me to jump. She stood there in a pair of my shorts and one of Connor’s t-shirt.

“I don’t know I might listen, I might not.” I smiled. “But the bigger question is why are you here, in my kitchen, in my older brothers t-shirt, on a Thursday?” I raised my eye brows, causing her face to go bright red. Connor walking behind her in a pair of shorts, and hugged her waist and kissed her neck. “Oh My God do not answer that question. Ew.” I shuddered causing Cooper to laugh. I turned around to look at him.

“I love you.” He smiled and kissed my nose. I rolled my eyes and limped over to the stove to get the food.

“Oh yeah, you made fish sticks. Do I get any? I am your favorite brother.” Conner said sniffing the air. I glared at him. “Okay Megs and I are going out.” He said and threw Megs over his shoulder and walked back to him bedroom. Cooper looked at me as I took a bite of a fish stick.

“What?” I asked. He shook his head and took my fish stick………

For dinner Cooper was going to take me out and I couldn’t wait! We going to go to the dinner and we did! It was the best, well till we came out. “Well, well, well, if it isn’t Cooper.” A sick voice said. I looked over from were Cooper was helping me walk with my crutches, to see a dark figure.

“Beat it Isaac.” Cooper said. The figure came into the light so I got a good look at him. He had brown hair and blue eyes. He also had a white scar on his tan skin. He reminded me of…..oh no. He reminded me of Vicky.

“But Cooper, you used to love me; when you were dating my sister.” He snapped. I tensed. “You know the girl that you put in prison with your crap lies about her beating up that…..thing.” He looked me up and down.

“Isaac just go away. We don’t want a problem.” Cooper held me closer to him. Isaac started to walk closer to where we stood. He had his hands in his hoodie pockets. Before I knew it he punched Cooper. As Cooper was on the ground he kicked my crutch causing me to buckle under my own weight. He then grabbed my hair and faced me towards Cooper, who was now standing, as I struggled to get out of his grip. I heard a click that made me freeze. I have heard that click enough times to know that Isaac had a gun. He jammed it into my side sharply causing me to whimper making Cooper’s eyes wide.

“Please don’t do this!” Cooper yelled at him. He had an arm around my neck.

“I have to Cooper. She caused her pain. She took you!” He pressed the gun farther in my side.

“Please don’t hurt her. Grace didn’t do anything.” Cooper said putting his hands up in surrender.

“What about what she did to my sister? What about that? My sister is in jail!” He yelled pushing the gun painfully into my side causing me to whimper and squirm.

“She was protecting herself. Vicky attacked her. She put her in the hospital!” Cooper was frantic as I whimpered in pain.

“I don’t care, she caused my sister pain. She dated you, now she has to pay.” He yelled.  Cooper stepped closer.

“Don’t come any closer or I’ll, I’ll shoot!” He yelled again. Cooper stepped back hands up in surrender.

“Please don’t hurt her, hurt me. I caused this. Please stop hurting her.” Cooper cried as he pulled the gun and jammed it back causing me to let out a yelp of pain. He suddenly dropped me to the ground. He stalked towards Cooper.

“Your right, you caused this. I should kill you. You will pay!” He yelled. A shot rang out into the night air, and then there was a scream. Only after it did I relies it was mine.