Chapter 38: Give It Time

I woke up to the feel of warm lips on my head. I opened my eyes to see a concerned Cooper looking at me. He was gently rubbing my stomach. “You okay Baby?” He asked running a hand down my cheek. I nodded as my eyes closed enjoying the feel.

 “Yeah, I just don’t feel right.” I said snuggling into him.

 “Why do you think? From what your Dad said it was pretty bad.” He pulled the blanket around the both of us tighter.

 “I don’t kno-” I stopped and my eyes popped open.

 “Baby? What’s wrong?” He asked. I looked at him for a minute then down at my flat lower stomach.

 “I’m puking with no reason. I’m so f-ing tired all the time. I am really grumpy at times.” I counted them on my fingers. Cooper looked at me with a questioning look. “Do you know what this means?” I asked him almost jumping up and down on the bed.

 “Uh should I?” He asked in an unsure voice.

 “Cooper I think I’m pregnant.” When the words left my mouth he grabbed my face.

 “You think you are?” He asked scanning my face for any sign of a pregnancy.

 “No, but you have to go to the pharmacy and get me a couple of tests. You know there by the condoms. It’s weird if you ask me. Why would you put protection against pregnancy next to the thing you find out if you’re pregnant? Like really? What’s the point of that?” I asked rambling in my nervous state. I saw Cooper smile and pull away putting on a pair of pants I didn’t know he took off. He pressed his lips to mine till I pulled away. “Don’t, my month still probably tastes like throw up.” I groaned covering it remembering I never brushed my teeth after the little ’puke season’ I had before.

 “Don’t worry baby, I love you. Now I’m off to the pharmacy to get you a stick to pee on.” He smiled before walking out. Cooper walked out of our room with a smile playing on a small smile. Jesse looked up at Cooper from where he was sitting with a sleeping Logan in his arms.

 “Hey where are you going?” He asked changing the channel on the TV.

“The pharmacy.” He smiled grabbing a pair of keys. Jess raised an eye brow at him.

 “Why?”

 “Your sister thinks she is pregnant.” He said braking out into a grin.

 “Pregnant?” Jesse said almost jumping up but then remember the perfect baby fast asleep in his arms.

 “Yeah. She sent me to go get her some tests for her to take. You make sure she is okay while I get it?” He walked out the door with that hanging in the air. Jesse got off the couch and walked silently to my room. He knocked on the door before opening it.

 “Sis?” He whispered still holding a sleeping Logan. He looked around the semi darkroom. He sat down on the bed and pulled the covers from over my head. I looked up at his confused face as the silent tears rolled down my cheeks. “Hey what’s wrong?” He said looking at me shifting Logan in his arms.

 “I want to be pregnant but I just don’t feel it Jesse.” I sniffled. “I want to be a mommy so bad but, but I know I can’t. I can’t be a mommy. I will never be a mommy. Why can’t I be a mommy?” I sobbed quietly. Jesse put Logan down on the end of the bed before he pulled me into a tight hug.

 “Sure Grace its okay, don’t worry.” He pressed his lips to my forehead. I don’t know why but the tears just wouldn’t stop. I snuggled into his t-shirt like I used to when I was little.

 “Why can’t I be a mommy?” I mumbled.

 “I don’t know Sis. Maybe it’s just not your time for a baby. Give it time Sis. Give it time.” He gently rocked me back and forth. Logan started to fuss around which quickly dried up my tears. I roughly wiped them away and picked him up. He squirmed in my arms till I gently rocked him.

 “Shhh baby Logan. Shhh its okay.” I heard the bedroom door open and the bed dip. I looked over at Cooper as he sat there looking at me holding baby Logan.

 “He is a very handsome baby.” He ran a finger down Logan’s short peach fuzz.

 “He is. It must run in the family.” I smiled as Logan took his finger and sucked and nibbled on it.

 “It must be because you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.” He kissed me. Logan giggled and clamped down. Jesse walked back into the room and takes Logan to get him a bottle. Cooper wrapped his arms around me and kissed my head.

 “I love you.” He whispered.

 “I love you too.” I sighed leaning my head back on his shoulder closing my eyes.

 “When do you want to take the test?” He whispered nuzzling into the crook of my neck.

 “Give me a minute, I’m enjoying this moment.” I smiled.

 “When ever you are ready Baby, when ever.” He kissed the crook of my neck causing me to giggle. “No rushing but maybe soon?” He smiled innocently at me. I sighed getting out of his warm embrace. I took the bag out of his hands and walked to the bathroom. I pulled down my pants as I sat on the toilet. I peed on the stick then put the protective top on and laid it on the counter. I looked at my face in the mirror and ran a hand through my hair. Life has changed so much since I came to Wisconsin after Dad got deployed. I met the love of my life and I’m getting married to a Marine. I just wish I can get pregnant. I looked down at the test that was laying face down next to the sink. I took a deep breath and picked it up. I flipped it over and looked at the small little window with the answer to one of the biggest questions I will have in my life. I gasped……….