Part Eighteen

I pull up outside my house, with make up running down my face from all the crying. How could they disown me? If my child ever told me that they were pregnant, I would support them, not push them aside. It makes me think though. What if Elliot wants nothing to do with this child, like Veronica and Marcus wanted nothing to do with me? Then what? What will I do then? I know I'll keep them and try to make the best out of the situation, but what if I can't? What if I turn out to be a rubbish mum anyway? I take a slow walk up to my front door, where I put the key and twist it slowly. As soon as I get in, I hear my house phone ringing. I close the door behind me, before answering the phone.

"Hello?" I asked, in the hope that they might say something like "Leela! I've been trying to get hold of you for weeks, It's Elliot! How are you?" but they don't.

"Hey. It's me Stacy" she sounds nervous, which is odd. Why would she be nervous? I'm the one who is supposed to be nervous, not her!

"Hey Stace" I sigh.

"So how did it go?" She asks me.

"I don't want to talk about it" I tell her, but she doesn't seem to get the message.

"It can't have been that bad" she says. She knows nothing. She's never even met my so called parents, so how would she know how they would react to this.

"Yes it can. You don't know them. Anyway, I'm just going to go to bed and try to forget about this whole thing" I tell her, before hanging up. No doubt, I'll get an earful about that, but never mind. She'll just have to get over it! I mean, she isn't the one who's pregnant.

The next morning, I wake up to find that I slept all the way till half 11. I'm usually up so early. I suppose it's because I couldn't sleep for half of the night or something. I throw my dressing gown on before heading down stairs. Just as I get to the bottom, the post falls through the door. Despite living by myself, I never get a lot of mail, but this time, there are three letters there. I pick them up and I read them, the first one is something from Argos or something, so I decide to throw that one over my shoulder. It's probably just some advertising thing anyway. I then see that the next one is a letter from the uni. I decide to throw this one behind me too. After all, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to go back there, seeing as though I'm pregnant! The last one is the weirdest though. I pick it up to see that it doesn't have a return address on it or anything, but the address is printed on it, so it can't be some randomer. Maybe, it's Elliot! I rip it open in excitement, only to find it wasn't. I begin to read it not yet knowing what it was. It reads:

Dear Leela,

I understand that you've been having some problems lately and we understand. We know that you will come to terms with what's going on. Jeremy has booked you in for Thursday for you to get rid of the baby. After all that is what's for the best. I know you might not feel like doing this now, but when you think about it, I'm sure you will agree. What sort of a mother will you be anyway, you're twenty-two and you have no life experience, not to mention university. That's the most important thing here and we all know that the father isn't interested in this baby, so we will forgive you, as soon as the baby's gone. You made it very clear the other day that you are not well and we realise that it is partly our fault, for working you so hard. However your father's friend, Terry, is a councillor and he has agreed to take you on as a patient. We hope that you will get better soon and when you are, you are welcome back into the family.

Love from your Mother and Father x

P.S. We need you to pay for the gardener to sort out the lawn you destroyed the other day.

They have some cheek! I decide not to throw this one over my shoulder though, instead I take it into the garden and set in on fire. Once it's all on fire, I stamp on it and then I head back into the living room. Where I hear a knock on the door. Who's this now?