Part Forty-Five

Elliot pays for his items and then we make our way over to the exit. It’s not long before we reach the car and we both climb inside. “Are you ok? You look a bit pale” he asks, with a concerned look.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Can we just go home please?” I ask him and he nods before pulling out of the car park.

“I was thinking about taking you out for dinner tonight, what do you think?” he asks me, as we approach the house.

“Yeah, alright then” I agree. I suppose it wouldn't hurt would it? And it would probably take my mind off of what just happened.

“So did you see anything you liked for the baby anyway?” he asks, as he parks the car up.

“Not really. We’ll just have to go somewhere else and look” I suggest and he smiles.

“Alright then. I suppose it has to feel right. After all we do want this to be perfect”

We get out of the car and make our way over to the house. I hope he doesn’t ask about earlier. I just want to forget about that to be honest. Ella isn’t worth thinking about and besides she’s messed up. The sooner I get her out of my life, the better. She’s not worth it. We walk up to the house and as soon as we open the door, I notice a letter lying on the floor.

“What’s that?” I ask, not that he'd know either.

“I don’t know, but it wasn’t here when we left” he says, sounding confused. He picks the letter up and examines it. “Here, it’s addressed to you” he says, giving me the letter. I sigh as I notice the hand written name on it. I suppose this will be from my mum again. I wish she’d realise that I’m never going to give up on Elliot and our baby. This is for keeps and nothing she can say to me will ever change that. I close the door behind me and then I head into the living room.

“I’ll make some tea” Elliot says, as he goes into the kitchen. I sit down on the sofa and I stare at the letter. Is it worth opening, or should I just leave it? But what if it’s something important? What if they’ve decided to accept my love for Elliot? I’ll open it.

I rip open the envelope and I unfold the letter. ‘I said, you’d regret ever crossing me. Do you regret it yet?’ it reads. What the hell does that mean? Do I regret what yet? Do I regret getting with Elliot yet? Well the answer is no to that one, but what if it means something else? It has to mean something else because I’m sure my mum will know that I would never regret my decision to be with Elliot. At that moment I feel a sharp pain in my stomach, causing me to drop the letter on the floor.

“Are you alright?” Elliot asks me. I look up to see him standing in the door way with the teas in hand.

“Yeah, I just feel a little sick” I tell him. It must be morning sickness. Elliot puts the teas down on the table, before pulling me to the sofa and sitting me down. He then sits down next to me and wraps his arm around me.

“Shall I call the doctor?” he asks me, looking concerned.

“No, I’ll be fine. It’s just morning sickness” I tell him.

“Oh well, do you want me to get you something for the pain?” he asks.

“No, I’m fine, really”.

I take a sip of my tea before realising I need the toilet. “I’m just going to the loo” I tell him, as I stand up and make my way towards the living room door and up the stairs. Once I’ve finished on the toilet, I turn around to flush the chain and I notice something about the water. It’s red. I feel my heart stop beating for a second at the thought of what’s happening and I feel a rush of panic take over me. I look down at my trousers and I watch as a red stain forms on them and slowly starts to travel down my legs.

I knew there was something wrong when I got in the car, I knew it. I shouldn’t have been so stupid. I should have told Elliot what had happened and then we could have stopped this from happening. I hope I’m wrong, I really do. I don’t want to have a miscarriage. This is the one thing that holds me and Elliot together and it was going to be the most amazing thing ever to happen to me. It was going to be perfect and this was the silver lining in everything that’s happened lately. I can’t lose this, I can’t lose my baby, I can’t lose my future. I slam my back against the door and I slowly slide down it until I’m sitting on the floor. I then put my head in my hands and cry. I cry like I’ve never cried before. This wasn’t like all of the other times though. This isn’t me losing a friend, this isn’t me being dumped, this is me losing my child. Something I hoped would never happen, but now it has and I can’t do anything to stop it. It’s too late. There’s nothing I can do and that’s the worst part.

“Leela?” Elliot shouts up the stairs, but I don’t answer. I have nothing to say. He waits for a minute, before shouting again. “Leela, are you ok?” I ignore him once more and then I hear him running up the stairs. “Leela?” he shouts again. He tries to open the door, but it’s locked. “Leela, open the door” he tells me. I stand up and unlock the door. I don’t want him to keep banging and I don’t really want to deal with this on my own anyway. I open the door to see a panicked Elliot standing in front of me. Little does he know that as soon as I explain to him what’s going on, he’s going to be a lot more panicked. “What’s up? Are you ok?” he asks me, as he pulls me in for a hug. He must have noticed that I’ve been crying.

“Elliot stop” I say in-between sobs. I push him away before putting my head in my hands again.

“What’s going on?” he asks me, sounding even more worried.

“I’m bleeding, Elliot. I’m bleeding” I sob even more.

“What?” he asks in a panic. “Shit, we have to get you to the hospital” he tells me, as he puts his arm around me and leads me down stairs.