Part Forty-Eight

The next morning I wake in my brother’s bed. He must have slept down stairs, not that that matters. Everything me and Elliot had just been torn apart and now I don’t know who I am anymore. I lost everything to bring that baby into the world and now it’s been taken away from me. I guess the saying is true, you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone, and now my baby is gone and right now I wish I was gone too. I can’t believe something so horrible could happen to me. I’ve always been a nice girl, haven’t I? Maybe it is my fault, maybe it was karma or something. I mean I was quite mean when I was in primary school, but surly that doesn’t deserve this.

We had everything planned out and now we have nothing. Me and Elliot have nothing. The only reason we were together was for the baby and now it’s gone. My world has literally been destroyed and for what? Because Ella couldn’t get a stupid follow from Elliot?! Maybe I should have just taken her to that first date! This is all my fault. Then we might even still be friends. All three of us would probably be sitting around in Elliot’s living room sorting out baby clothes right now if it wasn’t for my insecurities. I thought she was going to steal Elliot away from me and keep him for herself, but even that would have been better than her killing our unborn baby, which is what she’s done. She’s going to pay for this, if it’s the last thing I ever do. She’s not getting away with it.

I roll out of bed and make my way out of the room. I look down at what I’m wearing and I realise that I’m in Stacy’s pyjamas, but that doesn’t matter. I’m not trying to impress anyone. I run out of the house and through the front gate. I don’t care who sees me, this has to be done. I can’t let her get away with what she’s done to me, to my family. I run across the road and towards Ella’s house. That amazing house she has, that she doesn’t deserve. She doesn’t deserve anything. If you gained money from the kind things we do, she would be poor and living in the gutter, where she belongs.

“Leela?” I hear a familiar voice call after me. I turn around to see who it is and I see Elliot getting out of his car. “What are you doing out here, you should be resting” he says, as he makes his way over to me. He has dark bags under his eyes and his face is pale.

“I don’t need to sleep. I need to make sure that Ella is punished for what she’s done” I say, as I turn back and head towards Ella’s house again.

“No, Leela. You’re not thinking straight. Come on, let’s get you back to Steven. He’s probably worried about you”

“Well he doesn’t need to be. I’m a grown woman, not a kid!” I yell. Everyone keeps treating me like I’m a toddler and as if I can’t do anything myself, but I can. I’m perfectly capable of looking after myself and just because I’ve had a terrible thing happen to me doesn’t make me an invalid!

“The doctor says you need to rest. You lost a lot of blood” he says.

“Yeah and I also lost our fucking baby” I shout, with tears driving from my eyes.

“Don’t you think I know that?!” Elliot shouts back, his voice shaking. “It was my baby too you know” he says, as his voice cracks and tears begin to rush from his eyes. “Please just come inside, Leela” Elliot says, pointing to Steven’s house. I don’t say anything; I just walk towards the house in silence. When I reach Elliot, he wipes his eyes and takes hold of my hand. We then walk back to Steven’s house together.

“Hello?” Steven asks from the kitchen as we walk through the front door.

“It’s ok, it’s only me. I’ve brought Leela back” Elliot says, squeezing my hand for comfort.

“What? I thought she was upstairs?” he asks sounding confused. I feel a slight pain in my chest as he speaks.

“You mean you didn’t notice?” Elliot asks, sounding annoyed.

“It’s no big deal is it? She’s a grown woman.” Steven answers, shrugging it off.

“Yes, she’s a grown woman, who’s just lost her baby. Idiot” Elliot says.

“Alright, calm down. She’s my sister. I think I’d know if she wasn’t coping”

“Well obviously not!” Elliot replies sounding even more annoyed.

“I’m fine aren’t I? Let’s just drop this shall we?” I say, welling up again.

“Yeah she’s fine. Get over it Elliot. She doesn’t need you treating her like a baby” Steven says. At that moment I see something flash in Elliot’s eyes and I can’t tell whether its anger or sadness, maybe it’s a bit of both. I hold onto Elliot’s arm, to stop him from attacking Steven, just in case he was going to.

“Maybe you should come home with me. This isn’t the best place for you right now” Elliot says, with tear forming in the corner of his eye.

“I can’t. I’m sorry. I just can’t go back to that house. The house we were going to bring our son home to” I say, welling up again. Elliot wipes his eyes a final time before responding.

“I’ll take you to a hotel then. We can stay there, until we’re ready to move back home” he tells me.

“I don’t know whether I’ll ever be ready, Elliot” I sniff.

“Well until we find a new house then. I just can’t let you stay here, with that insensitive prick” he says and Steven looks down at the floor as if he’s feeling guilty.

“Ok” I smile. I thought me and Elliot would be better off separate while we were getting over what happened because I didn’t want to set him off if I ever spoke about the baby and I didn’t want him to set me off. But now I think, we’ll probably be better off together because we’re the only two people who know what we’re going through. I need him more than ever before.