16) Danger Zone

[Author's Note: 

{5.20.2013} Just edited through and fixed a few little things

X-Men Characters In This Chapter: Nightcrawler (Kurt), Wolverine (Logan),

StormFireGirl's OC: Bio-hazard (A.J.)

OCs: Panther (Emery), and the Shadow]

A.J. stood glaring at Kurt with her arms crossed.

"A.J.! A.J. she didn't mean it!"

"She almost killed me, and you, and the Professor."

"You almost killed me once too, remember?"

A.J. let her arms drop.

"Yeah... I guess I did do that didn't I?"

"Emery isn't fully in control of her powers, und neither were you when you first got here."

 "I'm sorry."

"Nein, it's my fault. I wasn't thinking. She's been a bit off with her abilities since Rogue broke her ribs."

"Rogue broke her ribs?" A.J. asked incredulously.

"Ja, she's still healing. You can understand why she's a little jumpy. Rogue and her were getting along, and then sparing, and ta-da."

"That sounds like it hurt."

"Of course it hurt."

"So what do I do?"

"Give her a little time to warm up to you, und wait for her to apologize. She won't say the words, but when she's sorry, you'll know."

A.J. nodded.

"I really vant you two to get along."

A.J. raised her visible eyebrow. "Why is that?"

Kurt blushed, looking down at his feet. "Vell, because, uhm...”

"Oh my god!" A.J. said excitedly. "You like her!"

Kurt looked up at A.J.'s grin and flushed even more. "Ja..." he whispered.

A.J. squealed and tackled him to the ground for the second time that day.

~

The crystalline structure melted into plasmic goo. Emery stepped forward and, one by one, touched the holes left from the needles. The goo broke off of her, drop by drop, until each hole in the room was covered in goop. Cleaning up her mess was always easy for some reason. Maybe she just understood that part of her powers better. She waved her hand at the wall. The goop solidified and replaced the missing wall, changing into paint and plaster, making it seem like nothing had happened. Emery repeated the process with the rest of the room.

Finished cleaning up her mess, she slowly walked to her room. She watched her feet step forward, step forward, and step forward, glowing purple at each contact with the floor.

Emery pushed open the door to her room. Collapsing on her bed she rested her eyes on the ceiling. Where could she go if she left? She didn't have a family, at least, not one that wanted her around. She didn't have friends anymore; they had all left her when they found out she was a mutie.

~

Kurt and A.J. had found a seat on the edge of A.J.'s bed.

"Soooo," A.J. prompted. "Tell me."

"Tell you vhat? I just told you I like her."

"How'd you meet? Where is she from? What does she like? Oo, what have you done? Dishhh," she babbled.

Kurt raised an eyebrow. Yup, A.J. was definitely back. 

"She was in a bad place. Ve rescued her."

"So she's like your princess," A.J. beamed.

"I suppose so."

"So have you asked her out yet?"

"...kinda."

"What do you mean kinda?"

~

 The shadow arrived at the Xavier Institute and settled down in the bushes just outside the perimeter. It could sense the alarms and devices set up to alert everyone inside that there was an intruder present. Technology had been his hobby after all. It was capable of recognizing everything. It had no time restraints. It would wait, for the powerful one, and then possess her. She could get into the facility. She was just what it was looking for.

~

Emery rose from her bed. She was so confused. Where could she go? The Danger Room. That's where she'd go. The worst she would do in there would be to destroy the equipment, but that's what it was made for anyway. Quietly, in her natural panther-esque gait, she walked down to the Danger Room.

~

"You're telling me she went into a panic, which sent the two of you into another dimension, when you asked her if she wanted you to be her mate?"

"Uh... ja."

A.J. smacked Kurt upside the head. "You're supposed to ask her out, not go all Animal Planet on her!"

"But that's the way the Professor said her body functions," Kurt argued.

"Yeah, her hormones, not her mind or her heart," A.J. chided.

"So... vhat? I just ask her to be my mate?"

"No! You ask her if she'll date you, numnut."

~

Emery locked the door behind her. She had turned the Danger Room on, to level six. That was one level higher than the Professor had allowed her to practice on the last time she was in here. There had to be a way to get her powers under control. She didn't have anywhere else to go. She had to ensure she was able to stay here. And the only way she could do that is if she reeled her abilities in. She watched as the machines activated and trained their targets on her. Emery focused her mind, like she did for talking to someone mentally. Instead though, she focused on sharpness, so strong in fact that the machine she was looking at was sliced into bits.

She mentally screamed as lasers emerged and aimed at her. Her emotions were spiraling in her head. It would have been easy for anyone to say so just by looking at her, had they been there, that she was losing control. Purple star spirals emitted from her, twisting spiraling, and destroying everything they came in contact with.

~

Wolverine ran into the room. "Is the little kitten here?"

"Uhm, no?" A.J. responded. "Not even a hello, welcome back for me?"

"Hello. Welcome back," Wolverine said flatly. "Kitten's missing."

"Vhat?" Kurt exclaimed.

"She wasn't in the kitchen when I went to check on her, and there's so much purple smell everywhere I can't track her. She isn't in her room and I've had everyone I've run into look for her. No one's found her yet."

Kurt stood up. "Verdammt, this isn't gutt."

"We're going outside. There's only so much space in here, if she's inside someone will find her. You and I, fuzzy, are heading out. You too half-pint," he said pointing at A.J.

"Is she always this much of a handful?" A.J. asked following the two of them outside.

"Yes," Wolverine growled.