2) A Step Forward

[Author's Note:

{5.20.2013} Edited through. Just some grammatical errors and other little things. Nothing big.

X-Men Characters In This Chapter: Nightcrawler (Kurt), Phoenix (Jean), and Professor X (Charles Xavier)

OC: Panther (Emery)

{5.20.2013} Technically there are other characters in flashbacks, but they are not listed here.]

Kurt was awoken the next morning with a loud thud: the sound of him being pushed off the bed. He peered over the edge of the bed at the girl they had rescued the night before. She was curled up on his pillow as she had been at the place. Kurt realized getting her to open up was going to be a long process. In fact, he didn't even know her name yet.

He sat on the edge of the bed to get off the floor, but to keep a distance so as to not frighten her.

"My name is Kurt Wagner. I'm one of the x-men: Nightcrawler. Sehen: blue fur. Fuzzy Dude." He grinned. The girl continued to stare emotionlessly at him. "We are at the Institute for Gifted students. Professor Xavier's way of making a mansion, which is home to dozens of mutants, sound normal. Professor says you're one of us, which is true. Look at your tail and ears."

Kurt was babbling, but he didn't care. It might make her open up a little if he talked to her. Might calm her down too if she knew more about what was going on.

There was a silence as Kurt thought what to say. He didn't have long to think however, because there was a knock on the door.

"Ja?" he called. Jean opened the door.

"Kurt, the Professor said to go see him. He said you could go. I'll watch her."

Kurt nodded. Jean eyed the girl on the bed.

"So you'll go see him."

"Be careful." Kurt left Jean alone with the new girl. Somehow he knew: this was a bad idea.

~

Professor Xavier was waiting at his desk when Kurt arrived.

"Have a seat Kurt." Kurt sat.

"What's going on Professor?"

"The new girl we brought here. Is she awake?"

"Yes, sir."

"Has she spoken?"

"No, sir. But, I've talked to her a little."

"Does she seem to be warming up to you?"

"Nein."

"I thought not. Kurt, you understand that that girl, potentially, contains more talent and power at her age than every mental-associated mutant that we know of?"

"She's strong with her gift. If that's what you mean."

"Precisely. Which means, her being so distant and uncontrollable, only means, she's dangerous. We must keep an eye on her. If she turns on us, we might not be able to stop her."

"Um... Professor? If she's that talented as you say: why didn't she free herself?"

"Unfortunately Kurt, that is something only she can answer."

~

Jean eyed the girl cautiously, just as the girl eyed her. The Professor had said to be careful, and so had Kurt. Super careful. That this girl was capable of things that surpassed even the Professor's mind.