37) The Bottom Line

[Author's Note:

{5.27.2013} published

X-men Characters in this Chapter: Nightcrawler (Kurt), and the Professor (Charles Xavier)

OCs: Panther (Emery), and Chet]

Back in the Professor's office:

"If you are going to stay here, I will need to know the extent of your gift. If you wish to join the x-men you must be willing to live under our morals and rules; you must attend classes and training; you must understand that I am the head of this Institute and as much as I respect every living being, I have the final say in matters. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Professor."

"Now, let's start with your mutant abilities? Would you care to explain them to me?"

"I..." Chet hesitated. "I can do a couple things."

The Professor waited patiently.

~

Kurt was sitting on the edge of the bed waiting for Emery to come out of the bathroom. Before he'd met Emery, he would have ported right out of the room if he had run into the same situation. But this was Emery, and he loved her. And he really wanted to know what had happened last night. Was it too much to hope that she had chosen him over Chet? It probably was. Chet looked so normal. She went to school with Chet. She'd slept with Chet. Chet had a piece of her that he would never have: memories of a normal, non-mutant relationship together.

Emery came out of the bathroom wearing a long black sweater-shirt and a pair of purple jeggings. She went over to her closet and put on knee-high, black, converse boots. Then she looked in the mirror and started fidgeting with her hair and her clothes.

"You look fine, Emery," Kurt said softly. He'd never seen her this picky over how she looked before. He wondered if Chet was the reason for it.

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes, I do. Now can we talk?"

Emery nodded and sat down next to him on the bed.

"The Professor told me that Chet is here."

Emery looked down.

"Vhat happened?"

"I had to know who I really love."

Kurt's heart sank. Did that mean she'd chosen Chet after all?

"And?"

Emery fiddled with her hands. 'It's you,' her voice came floating into his brain. Kurt fell back on her bed in surprise and relief. He breathed out a stream of air that he'd been holding in his lungs.

"Vhy me? I mean, how did you pick me? What made you choose... me?"

'When he kissed me, I wanted it to be you.'

Kurt sat up quickly. "He did vhat?!"

Emery looked up at Kurt's outburst.

"Vhat else did he do?" Kurt growled.

"Nothing. We just argued."

"Argued?"

Emery nodded.

"Show me."

~

'What?' Emery asked nervously. She didn't understand why she was so nervous.

"You can show me with your mind, the way you did when you were upset over A.J. before."

'You don't want to see... all of it?' she asked meekly.