Father Christmas

"Merry Christmas Sir"

Lucy said with her eyes alight with joy as she took a step forward more towards Father Christmas. Leandre wanted to blink and rub her eyes again if the apparition in front of her was real or not.

What am she saying...this is Narnia.

"It certainly is, Lucy. Thanks to you"

Father Christmas said kindly "I thought there was no Christmas in Narnia" Susan said in shock and a bit of awe.

It was every child's dream to get a glimpse of Santa Claus in the flesh.

"It hasn't been for a hundred years. But now the Witch's power is crumbling"

"That is a good sign right?"

Leandre asked with uncertainty. Father Christmas laughed before he grabbed his famous red sack and dropped it on the ground. Toys in all shapes and sizes sprang up.

"Presents!"

Lucy squealed as she stepped closer to Father Christmas "I guess we are having an early Christmas" Leandre chuckled as they closed in on Father Christmas.

"Lucy, these are for you"

Father Christmas said as he bent down and handed Lucy a red vial "The juice of the fire flower. If you, or one of your friends are wounded, one drop of this cordial will restore them. And though I do not expect you to use it" He handed her a small dagger and Lucy gingerly held it in her hands.

"Well, I think I could be brave enough"

Lucy said with a brave face "I'm sure you could. But battles are ugly affairs" Father Christmas reached down again and pulled out a bow with its own arrows.

"Susan, trust in this bow, for it does not easily miss"

Father Christmas said as he handed it to her. Susan admired the designs on the bow "What happened to 'battles are ugly affairs?'" Susan asked with a raised brow making Father Christmas laugh.

"And, though you don't seem to have trouble making yourself heard, this. When you put this horn to your lips and blow it, wherever you are, help will come"

"Now you don't have to use your voice from shouting. No offence Susan but your voice becomes a bit shrilly when you scream"

"Thanks" Susan said to Father Christmas before jabbing playfully at Leandre.

"And Peter, time to use these"

Father Christmas handed him a sword and a shield with a lion symbol on it.

Very regal...

Leandre thought as she watched Peter check his sword "Thank you sir" Peter said "These are tools, not toys" Father Christmas warned them "Bear them well and wisely" They all watched their new weapons in amazement.

"I best be off, winter is almost over and things do pile up when you've been gone a thousand years"

"Wait! What about Leandre?"

Lucy called out and Father Christmas turned to Leandre with a wide smile as if he had seen something he had hoped and wished for so many years to come true.

"She already has something that cannot be taken"

Leandre was confused at his words before Father Christmas sat down on his sleigh and with one last jolly smile, off he went with the reindeer bells tinkling in the wind.

"Bye...Merry Christmas!"

The children watched him go until his form and hus sleigh was no longer seen "Told you he was real!" Lucy said with her eyes alight. She felt lucky to be the first and possibly the last girl of children to ever see Father Christmas in the face.

"Did you hear what he said..." Peter suddenly asked them, realization dawning his face. Leandre pondered for a moment.

"The winter is almost over phrase...but what does that got to do with anything?"

"You know what that means..."

Peter drawls and Leandre thought hard while Lucy and Susan eyed him with puzzlement and confusion. Did they miss something important?

"No more ice!"

Peter and Leandre said in realization and they both looked at each other with worried gazes. Lucy and Susan also realized how dire the situation was.

If there was no ice on the river, how were they even going to get across then.

"Let's hurry and hope we can still make it!"

***

The frozen river was beginning crack and bits and pieces of ice was already flowing steadily. Leandre weighed their options on this situation, there was still enough ice for them to hold but for how long will it hold five children and two beavers?

Risk crossing the river and getting hypothermia or risk waiting and getting caught by the witch at our heels.

"Wait, maybe we should think about this"

Susan said as she stared at the river as more ice begins to crack "We don't have time" Peter said with a small glare. Offended, Susan spoke.

"I was just trying to be realistic..."

"No, you're trying to be smart....as usual!"

Leandre held out both of her hands "Can we focus first on the bigger problem now?" Peter nodded as he grasped Lucy's hand and they carefully scaled down until they were facing in front of the river.

"Wait, maybe I should go first"

Mr. Beaver said as he stepped in front of them "Maybe you should" Peter said unsure if he should be worried or not.

"You've been sneaking second helpings haven't you?"

Mrs. Beaver accused lightly. A little worried for her mate to do something drastic as to be the first to go across.

"Well you never know what meal is gonna be your last, especially with your cooking"

Mr. Beaver teased to lessen the already deteriorating mood of bravery as they began to cross with Mr. Beaver tapping furiously with his tail to test the strength of the ice.

"If mum knew what we were doing..."

"Mum's not here!"

Peter shouted, already fed up with Susan second guessing his decisions "Can we please not argue now" Leandre pleaded when Lucy spotted the wolves scaling down towards them.

"Oh no...!"

"Run!"

Peter screamed as they hasten their speed to cross only for the wolves to block their way.

They were trapped.