Chapter 21

Chapter 21

                                                                                LUCIA

                My heart thumped hard against my chest when I heard someone open a door. I knew exactly who it was, and exactly where they were coming from. Tyler and I stared at each other in silence, unsure of whether what we should be prepared for. Then when the footsteps became louder I began to shift in my seat. And there he was; silent, unfazed and standing innocently at the door of the living room.

                 “Jesse,” Tyler mumbled from where he sat.

                Jesse slightly smiled. I wasn’t entirely convinced though. There was something off, something...weird.

                “Are you alright there?” Tyler hesitantly asked.

                With a small nod Jesse began to walk towards us, yet he didn’t say one word. When he was finally seated, he shifted his gaze at me. My mind was racing; thoughts of what was wrong with this boy filled my mind. He was acting strange, and I know that all the blame had to be placed on Lucifer...but Jesse just couldn’t let himself go like that. He had to fight! Right? No one in their right mind would want a demon possessing them, let along with the permission of the devil!

                “What do you want?” I bluntly asked.

                Jesse’s blank gaze didn’t change.

                I wasn’t sure who I was asking. But someone had to answer even if it wasn’t Jesse who did. “What do you want?”

                “Nothing,” Jesse replied. His voice quavered a little.

                I bit my lip. And from the corner of my eye I watched as Tyler gazed at me.  “Who are you?” I asked again.

                The boy in front of me stared for a few seconds before answering. His voice was beginning to shake. “Jesse...”

                Shaking my head I grasped my hair. I didn’t know what was going on. My mind was blurring, my judgment was clouded! I didn’t know what to believe. I didn’t know who to believe!

                “You don’t believe me do you?” Jesse whispered.

                I look up through my fallen hair and shook my head.

                “That’s a shame.”

                “Who are you really?”

                He shrugged. “I told you; Jesse.”

                I shook my head frantically. “I’m serious!”

                “So am I...”

                For a couple seconds I stared at the boy across from me. His Adam’s apple bobbed up and down. Was he nervous? I couldn’t tell. Rolling my eyes and shaking my head one last time I stood up.

                Tyler stood up as well. “I can’t be in the same room as you,” I mumbled towards Jesse. “Unless I know exactly who you are.”

                “Now you know exactly how I feel then,” He replied back.

                I glared at him. “I guess so...”