Chapter 13

Chapter 13

                                                JESSE

                “What about Lucia? You said that you were able to talk to your own blood, if she’s your daughter can’t you just talk to her...and you know, leave me alone?” I whimpered.

                “It’s a tad more complicated than that my child. You see I have tried that before, and frankly the outcome was unlikable.” Lucifer replied.

                “Why do you even want me?”

                The room fell silent for a small while. Suddenly a small knock came from the door. “Jesse?” Lucia called from the other side. “Are you alright?”

                I cleared my throat. “I’m fine.”

                I waited till the footsteps echoed away from the door before returning my attention back towards the empty air. “Well?”

                Lucifer answered just as quickly as he had left. “They want things to happen, the two teenagers on the other side of the door. They want to change the course of tradition. The girl, she’s very powerful. And the boy he’s very manipulative. Those two...for some reason I do not understand...want to take control of how things run...”

                I shook my head. “You’re joking.”

                “I may be I may be not. The truth is for you to find out and chose to believe. Now before they become suspicious you must leave the solitude of this bathroom and go towards them.”

                My mouth opened trying to form words. My mind raced trying to gather questions.

                “Do you understand?”

                All I could do was nod.

                “Very well, I’ll try my best to keep watch, but remember I can only control so much.”

                Then he was gone. And I was left all alone, facing the door that separated me from the potential harm on the other side.

~*~

                I sat on the arm chair that lay across the couch where Tyler and Lucia sat. Our hands were wrapped around mugs of coffee Tyler had made. I was reluctant to drink it particularly for that specific reason.

                The color in Lucia’s face slowly came back, and her cheeks held a tint of pink. However her neck as well was beginning to increase in color. Purpler this time, streaks of blue in between.

                “What uh-“ I began pointing to my neck. “Happened?”

                Gingerly she touched the ZipLock filled with ice that lay on the coffee table. As she raised it to her neck she said. “Nothing...”

                I took a breath. “It looks bad...”

                Tyler shifted in his seat; he moved a little closer towards me and much more closer towards Lucia. “You did that.”

                “I-I couldn’t have.” I stammered.

                Lucia sighed. “Actually, technically you didn’t. But physically you did.”

                “I don’t understand.”

                Tyler took a small breath before saying. “I believe that Lucifer had sent a demon to posses you for that short moment. You had grabbed Lucia by the neck and slammed her against the wall.”

                My face dropped to the floor for a second. Had I really done that? “I’m sorry...”

                “It’s okay.” Lucia whispered.

                “Don’t believe them Jesse...” Lucifer’s voice rang through my head.

                I shook my head a little, trying to rid of the small ringing. Someone else in my mind was something I was not used to.

                “Are you okay?” Lucia called out towards me.

                “Yeah,” I raised my hand in confirmation.

                The room fell to a sudden silence. Even Lucifer was gone from my head. So the three of us sat there, part awkwardly and partially relieved. When Tyler stood from his seat to head towards the kitchen I had caught Lucia’s eyes on me. Our gazes locked for a brief moment, but I quickly shattered it.

                There was really, truly something in her that I didn’t trust. I wasn’t sure what. But I could tell that behind her eyes there was almost a hidden past. Like she knew my deepest fears...Either way I wasn’t going to let her in on it whether she actually knew or not.

                Again I caught her eyes. I watched for a short second as her lashes fell down and rose back up. Then she turned towards the window. My gazed drifted from her face down towards her neck. It was still purple. I winced. I really hope I was not the one who had done that to her. I couldn’t be... Obviously if she went to strike me, then I would consider striking back. But what could she have done that made me do that?!

                “I believe that Lucifer had sent a demon to posses you...”

                Was Tyler right? No he couldn’t be. Lucifer specially told me how manipulative that boy was!

                A sudden sigh escaped Lucia and my attention was diverted back towards her. Her eyes drifted down to her hands that held the mug. Her finger was gracing the lip of the cup. Then my glance moved up wards. Her hair was still as dark as the last time I saw her out in the street. Except this time there was something different...almost a faint taint of red on certain sections of her hair...like highlights.

                She turned towards me, her dark eyes finding mine. I hadn’t noticed at first that I didn’t break the glance. I didn’t turn away because for some reason I didn’t want to. My mind memorized every curve of her eye lash and every line of her lids. Then my brain engraved how whole and warm brown her irises were. It sketched how the light hit her pupils, enough to illuminate her but not so much to overpower. There was something in her eyes that got to me. And I wasn’t sure if it was a bad sign or not...but there was definitely something there.

                I couldn’t look away; I couldn’t bring myself to pull away from her gaze, especially when she suddenly smiled.