Chapter 6

Chapter 6

                                                        LUCIA

                I held my breath as soon as I said it. My hands began to tremor, and my heart was beating in double-time. Jesse took in a breath, a long frustrated breath. I wanted to explain to him that my answer wasn't related to what he just saw. I had nothing to do with what happened, at least not directly. I wanted to tell him that I said yes because it was true, but it was meant for another moment. But he wouldn’t believe me. He doesn’t remember. So instead I just stood there, scared, anxious and angry all at the same time.

                Abruptly Jesse took a huge step closer, his nose inches from mine. Frightened I took a step back and was suddenly pinned against the wall. He stood only a few inches taller than me, but he seemed so much taller now. He towered over me, his eyes burning right through mine.

                “All this,” He harshly whispered. His hand lifted, gesturing to the space around us. “Everything that’s happening to me...is this all your fault?”

                I swallowed in fear, “Y-Yes.”

                Furiously he lifted his fist. I flinched. But he took a step back, a breath and then dropped his hand. Even when he was angry he couldn’t hurt a fly. Jesse truly was like Jesus.

                “I’m sorry...” I helplessly mumbled.

                His eyes glared at me. The corner of his mouth slightly twitched. “Your apology wouldn’t matter now.”

                “I-I...”

                “Please,” He huffed. “Just don’t. Why did you even have to get me involved? Me or my grandmother?!”

                “I never wanted...”

                He shook his head. “What did I do? Who is that man? And why are you here?! And why did he take my grandmother?!”

                I pressed my lips together. “I don’t know.”

                “You’re lying!” He shouted.

                I could feel my insides churn. I didn’t know what to do, or what to say.

                “Do you know where he took her?”

                I nodded.

                His face was stone cold as he spoke now. No anger, no frustration, and no sign of emotion. “Take me to her.”

                I shook my head. “I can’t...”

                “I don’t believe you.”

                “No, I seriously can’t. She’s, she’s gone.”

                He ran his fingers through his hair angrily. “Screw it, you’re no help.”

                With that he began to walk away. At first I just stood and stared, but soon I found myself running after him. “Wait Jesse!” I called out.

                I reached for his shoulders. My hands barely touched him when he suddenly twisted around, fling my arm away. “Look, clearly you won’t help me. So unless you’ve changed your mind, leave me alone. Please. Especially if you cause all this to happen, to innocent people....”