Chapter 25

Jesse

            Slowly, each soul laughed, cheered, and celebrated this chance of another life. It didn’t take long till they began to disappear, one by one. Soon Eugene approached me.

            “How you holding up mate?” He smirked.

            I grimaced. “I’ve been better… What’s happening?”

            He shrugged. “They’re finding their own ‘Jesse’s’”

            “I don’t understand.”

            “There’s a battle happening son…they need armor. Well come on then, let’s get going! I don’t want to miss the fun!”

            Before I knew it, a sudden weight filled me and something else was dragging me away. It was as if my eyes were suddenly no longer mine, like my lungs weren’t breathing for me, it was as though my body was not mine to be in.

            “Eugene?” Lucifer called out from across the room.

            “Present!” My voice chimed.

~*~

            The crowd was large filled with bodies of all ages mostly young people, the young and noticeably emotionally weak. Apparently they were the easiest to use. If no one knew any better it would seem as though all these people were headed to a concert...a parade…a late mass. But I knew better. I knew because I was witnessing it all. They weren’t here to sing, or to cheer and they sure as hell weren’t here to pray. They were here for one reason; selfish reason. They were all demons here to kill a single girl.

            The building the crowd stopped at was massive, it was a surprise to find no other by standards walking around outside. Coincidence?  Who knows? The stones glistened in the moonlight, and the stain glass windows seemed to twinkle against the evening rain. Did God know his house was going to be a blood pool tonight?

            The mass of the possessed then suddenly began to ram against the giant doors. She was in there.

            When the doors burst open, my skin began to burn and I felt Eugene tense up. The other possessed shrieked or hid their eyes away from whatever was hurting them. What was it?

            Eugene forced his/my eyes up. And there at the end of the aisle was the cross, the large famous statue of a holy man.

            “Demons you are not welcome here!” A female voice boomed.

            It then hit me that some kind of army surrounded us. Angels? Winged humans dressed in white or gold.

            My voice growled from my lips. “We don’t need your invitation Angel!”

            “Leave at once!” She demanded.

            Demented cackles roared from every possessed person in the church. “We just want the girl!” They snarled in unisons, me included.

            “We can’t let you have her.” A male shouted from behind the first Angel.

            “Ah,” My voiced sighed. “Tyler! We meet again!”

            “Jesse…” Tyler snarled.

            “Oh contraire! Jesse isn’t really here,” Yes I am! “It is your one and only Eugene!”

            “Does it matter?” The Angel took a step forward. “You can’t have her.”

            The entire crowd behind me suddenly pressed forward. Their chance for a second life was only a few feet away. You could smell their eagerness.

~*~

And then all at once bodies began to fly. The moon no longer beamed rays at the earth; instead shadows of battle covered the grounds. My eyes darted back and forth the mass of beings. I tried to scan for the girl. But I could see her, or that Angel.

What did they want from her?

What would become of me after?

Suddenly Eugene forced my legs to sprint towards the mahogany doors of the Lord’s house. Each step was accompanied by a dodge. There were multiple swift movements of ducts and pivots, preventing the weapons of Heaven from hitting me.

Then before a single Holy Fighter noticed, I had snuck in to God’s kingdom.

“Lucia…” My voice sang, “Where are you…”

No answer.

“Lucia, don’t be foolish. God doesn’t protect sinners.”