Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                                                                JESSE                  

                My mind was racing, my thoughts constantly turning back to my grandmother. I was alone. I had no one. Everyone was gone. They had been taken away from me, and I was left with nothing! Nothing but these stupid burns on my chest. I picked myself up from the ground, and dried my eyes. I felt the need to do something, to do somewhere. But I what? Where?!

                Slowly I faced the open door. That girl. Who was she? And that man....he called himself the devil? Absurd. Nothing made sense. There were things that went on between the two. Things, secrets, information that I was unaware of! But somehow I was involved with it.

                My fingers wrapped around the door knob. The, I harshly slammed the door closed, for a moment I stared at the white frame; my face neutral, my heart at pace. And then, I screamed.

                ~*~

                Her hair was black; faint red streaks slowly began to appear. She was having trouble breathing, her voice was coarse, and her face was pale. Was she sick?

                “I don’t know if I killed her Jesse...But if I did...I’m sorry. I’m so sorry! I never meant for any of this to happen! I didn’t mean to get you involved!”

                ~*~

                I woke up on the ground, my head covered by my arms. My chest was still sore, and my eyes felt swollen. I stood up slowly, and made my way towards the bathroom. First I splashed cold water on my face, and then I inspected my chest again. Suddenly I spotted something that was never before. Three faded red scars. They stood vertically on my chest, they were randomly scattered along me, from just three inches from my belly button, to the far right side of my abdomen and right to the upper left of my chest, five inches below my collar bone. My fingers traced each single one of them. How did they get there?! Where were they from!?

                “Lucia did this to you.”

                Lucia....she did this to me? Who was-That girl! The man had called her Lucia.

                I grasped my hair frantically. My mind began to race. I didn’t understand. She was just a girl! She looked my age. She looked like nothing special.

                “She killed your grandmother.”

                My hands made their way towards my face; I rubbed my eyes, trying hard to comprehend everything. She killed my grandmother...she killed Nana. But how? Why?!

                “And then, she killed you.”

                Who was she? What did she want? And why had she come back. It didn’t make sense. How could she have killed me? I was here wasn’t I?! Yes, I was.

                I glared at the mirror; my eyes growing hard. Whoever this man was, clearly knew the girl. And it wasn’t a secret that she knew him just as well. But who were they? Why were they here? And how did they know me?

                I clutched the edge of the sink, my eyes falling towards the drain. I had to do something. I had to find out what was going on. That man was going to come back after me. He said so himself. I didn’t want that. I didn’t want any of this. So as quick as I could possibly go, I ran towards my room. I threw on a shirt, and reached for the first pair of sneakers I found. Then I ran for the door.

                 My feet didn’t seem to cooperate however. With each step I found myself fumbling and falling. I clutched the railing as best as I could. I need to get down and outside. I had to find the girl! If only my legs knew how desperate I was. Finally I reached the bottom of the stairs. As soon as I opened the door that led me to the streets I found her. She was leaning against the building. Her hands wrapped around her. The girl held her head up. Her eyes were closed. Her caramel skin glowed against her white dress, her feet were bare. Where did she come from?

                I took a step closer. My plan was to question her, to ask her what was going on. But something in me made me stop. My eyes fell on her face. Her dark lashes lay gently against her cheeks. Her mouth was pressed tight. She was thinking. But what caught me most was her hair. It was long, black...familiar...

                I shook my head; I didn’t know who she was. How could I?!

                “You!” I cried as I approached her.

                She flung her eyes open, and stood up straight. Her lips moved into a small smile, and then dropped.

                “Who are you?” I asked.

                She took a step closer, hesitant but not uncomfortable. “Lucia,” She reluctantly answered.

                “I know your name...” I snapped. “But who are you? How do you know who I am?”

                “It’s a long story,” She chuckled. “I-uh-I.”

                 “Did you, did you know who that man was?”

                “Yes, his name is Lucifer...he’s my father.”

                “Did you kill my grandmother?!”

                She pressed her lips together, before replying. “Yes, but not today.”      

                “What? That doesn’t make sense....Did you kill her? Yes or no!”

                Lucia didn’t say anything. She simply stared at the ground.

                I huffed in frustration. “Did, you, kill, my grandmother?!”

                She looked up at me, her eyes searching for something. I stared back, not searching for anything but an answer. “It’s hard to explain Jesse...” She whispered.    

                “It’s not hard at all. Just answer my question!”

                She fell silent again. Her face growing pale as her eyes continued to look at me.

                “Did. You. Kill. My. Grandmother?”

                “Yes. Yes, I did.”