CHAPTER 16

CHAPTER 16

TAHIMIK SI HAPPY habang nag-aagahan sila ng kanyang ama. She had a good time with Midnight last night when he returned with cheese tart, iced americano and pizza.

Naglaro din sila ng card games kasama ang daddy niya at siyempre, nanalo ang daddy niya. He was a gambler after all.

At nang magising siya ngayong araw, wala na si Midnight.

She was worried of him. Sa mga sinabi nito kagabi. Something was about to happen to him. May kinalaman ba roon ang kapatid nito?

Midnight was always sad and a mess when he talked about his brother. The man who introduced himself to her months ago, telling her about her sister and Lucky's heart condition.

Hindi pa niya ito nakikita, pero kilala na niya ang Conde. Palagi itong naikukuwento sa kanya ni Midnight. He told her he resembled his brother. But when she met the Count for the first time, months ago, that was an understatement. They didn't resemble! They looked alike!

The only different about them were their eyes. Different shades. But if Midnight would use contacts with the same shade as his brother, he could pass as the Count and that was freaky!

Maiintindihan pa pa niya siguro kung magkambal ang dalawa, pero magkapatid? She and Lucky had a resemblance but anyone could still distinguish who was who. But Midnight and Knight, they were the exact replica of each other... and they were just brothers.

And that count... something was weird about him yesterday. When he was talking to the phone and glanced at her. He looked suspicious, she just couldn't point out what.

Was that a coincidence?

Nag-angat si Happy ng tingin sa ama na sumisimsim ng kape at nagbabasa ng news sa cell phone nito. "Dad?"

"Yes, princess?" Nakatutok pa rin ang mga mata nito sa cell phone.

"Do you think Midnight will be fine?" she asked.

Inilapag nito ang cell phone na hawak, saka bumaling sa kanya. "Why do you ask?"

She frowned. "Because he said some things to me last night and it's like he was saying good-bye."

Her father looked baffled now. "What? Wala naman siyang sinabi sa akin kagabi. Ano ba'ng sabi niya?"

Her face saddened. "He just made me promise not to look for him if he won't come visit me again. I think it's his father again."

His father's face became somber. "He's a good kid. Midnight. He was just looking for a genuine care and love because he hadn't experienced it."

"But he has a brother..." she pointed out. "He has family to make him feel... that."

Her father shrugged. "Princess..." He looked at her in the eyes. "Family—it's complicated. It's not always love and care. For others, like Midnight, family is a curse. In my existence, I've encountered a lot of families who would kill their family members—even brothers—for a land, a title, money, power and the list goes on. But I've also encountered good-hearted people who welcome someone to their home like a family."

Her eyes watered, remembering Midnight. "Like Midnight, he's like a brother to me, Dad. He had been there since I woke up from coma, and he wouldn't even let me tell people about it. That he was there for me. He made me promise."

"He just doesn't like the spotlight, I guess," sabi ng kanyang ama.

Bumuga siya ng marahas na hininga. "Kaya kapag nagkukuwento ako about what happened to me sa ibang tao, hindi ko mabanggit-banggit ang pangalan niya kasi nangako ako sa kanya. It's always, Dad was there for me. Dad was like this and Dad was that, but we both know—no, I know that it's not just you, Dad... it's Midnight too. And he's my family."