Chapter 16

***

It’s been a week. Day after day I visit her in the hospital sitting by her side. She doesn’t even twitch a muscle. She’s been in Acoma for a whole WEEK!  She has to wake up. She just has to. I looked at her laying there so peacefully like nothing was going on. I held her hand again and started talking to her.

“Sky, I know you respond but I know you can hear me. I’m sorry okay. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you when you needed me. I’m sorry I went with Bethany instead of you. IM sorry I hurt you more even though you were already going through hell. I’m sorry I pushed you over the edge. IM SORRY SKY! Okay I’m sorry.” I felt a tear escaping my eye. I heard the machine next to her beeping. I called a nurse and she came running in. “Whats wrong?!” she asked

“Whats that machine doing?”

“Oh wow, how did you do that?” she asked

“Do what?” I said looking confused.

“When it beeps it means she is responding. It means she is fighting to get out”

I looked over at sky and heard the machine beeping. She was trying to get out. I was getting her to respond. I smiled and started whispering to her while the nurse watched.

“Sky, listen to me okay I have done all these things to hurt you I know but I’m here now. I know you can do this, I know how string you are. I know you can get through this sky and I’m here no matter what.” The machine was beeping like crazy and the nurse said to keep on going. Now was the time I had to say it. I know it’ll work. I leaned in and whispered in her ear.

“Sky, I love you” I felt a grip on my hand. She did it! I knew she could do it. Her eyes shot open. “Hunter I can’t be here” she whispered still weak. “Why not?” I asked

I-I just can’t okay” she was starting to freak out again and I couldn’t lose her. Not again.

“Okay I’ll get you out just tell me why?”

She paused for a few seconds then built up the courage to say.

“It’s the place I saw my dad for the first and last time. He left while mum was still pregnant but came back when he found out I was really sick in the hospital when I was five. After that I never saw him again. And being here brings back to much. It’s just too much!” she started yelling. I called the nurse and told her to take us out. It took her a while but eventually we were out of there.

***

I drove Sky back home. Her mum had been away and didn’t even know what was going on. She still doesn’t know what’s going on. She wasn’t even home. Before sky got out of the car I asked

“You sure you’re gonna be alright?”

“Yea” she whispered then spoke again “Thanks I Hunter, you were the only one there for me, not even my mum was there” she closed the door and left. I obviously didn’t have to drive far to get home.