EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

I sit on the back porch behind an easel but I can’t seem to make myself get to work. I’m too busy watching Eamon. I’m supposed to be painting their portrait but I can’t focus. Eamon is on his knees chasing around Amos while Eileen chases him around, giggling. They’re both four. Amos is Eamon’s favorite boy name. And Eileen is named after her aunt. Eileen’s cancer came back two years after Eamon and I got married. She passed away soon after meeting her namesake and Amos. It was terrible to go through, but Eileen was so weak she wouldn’t have had a happy life anyway.

            Amos can draw already, like me, and Eileen sits and watches her daddy carve and build all day. I think it’s funny how they got swapped. Eileen is certainly a daddy’s girl. She got my blonde hair but his blue eyes. Amos has Eamon’s hair and mouth, but my eyes. Eileen is hilarious until someone new comes around, and Amos is the opposite. He really just does what he wants to. They also already have their favorite Disney characters.

            I’ve been trying to paint them all together for an hour now. I have it all sketched out, but I want too badly to jump in and play with them. This is for my parents, though. I have to finish it before their anniversary. I also don’t think I should be playing much. I have the same feeling I had when I found out I was pregnant with the twins. I guess I was staring into nothing, because I didn’t even notice Eamon coming up behind me. He draped his arms around my shoulders and kissed my neck.

            “It looks beautiful so far, love.” He told me, his chin resting on my shoulder. “Are you alright, Aurora? You’ve been acting strange.” I smiled, reminding myself that I couldn’t hide anything from him. I looked at our kids and watched them play with Pan. He was remarkably good with the children.

            “I think…. I think I might be pregnant, Eamon.” I bit my lip as I looked up at him. he breathed out and grinned.

            “Oh my god, Aurora!” he swung around and went on his knees to kiss me. “Now, are you sure, or?”

            “Well the test said yes…”

            “Aurora, I’m your husband you’re supposed to tell me this kind of thing.”

            “I wanted to be sure.”

            “And how long would that take?”

            “Eight to nine months.” I remarked, smiling. He squinted at me and kissed my forehead.

            “You’re lucky I love you.” He said. He looked over at Amos and Eileen. “I hope we can find out the sex soon.”

            “If it’s a girl I want to name her Wendy.”

            “And if it’s a boy it’ll be Peter.” He grinned. I smiled up at him.

Adults always told me when I was young that love is a teenager thing. I guess I can say I kind of agree with them. Love isn’t easy. Marriage means working together and doing whatever you can for each other. It’s giving sixty percent and expecting forty back. Eamon and I had to work out how I’d live in Ireland. We’ve had to figure out bills and jobs and living expenses. And it’s tough. It is not a walk in the park. It is a hike up a mountain. But Love is important because a hike is tougher without someone by your side.