chapter 36

~~~oh goodness only 2 chapter left~~~

CHAPTER 36

A long month went by after we added Pan into our little group. His favorite bed was our laps. He slept in my bed every night. The times that Eamon and I had made a fort Pan had leapt into Eamon's arms so fast you would've thought someone threw him. We're watching a movie tonight, a new one that just came out a couple of days ago.

Eamon walked in as I'm rolling around on the floor with Pan. My cheeks light up like lights. He just tosses his bag of treats and drops to the floor beside me. I grin and hug him. I twine my hand in his and tug him to the couch. As soon as he sits down, Pan sprints over and lands right on his lap, licking his face frantically. I switch off the lights to better see the TV and see Pan hasn't moved. I pout at them after I put in the DVD. I lifted Pan from Eamon's lap and sat there instead, setting Pan on my legs.

"Jealous, Aurora?" Eamon whispered in my ear. I looped my arms around his neck while I relaxed a bit.

"It's a bit offensive when my dog gets to sit closer to my boyfriend that I do." I exclaimed. He laughed his angelic laugh and pulled me closer, kissing my temple gently. 

"Don't worry, you'll always win out over everyone else." He said confidently. I looked him in the eyes, wondering if he was serious. All I saw was a familiar look in his eyes. I've seen that look in my dad's eyes when he sees my mom. I smiled at Eamon, wondering in the back of my head if I looked at him the same way. He leans towards me, pecking me on the lips and about to really kiss me when Pan interrupts with a loud bark. I can't help but to laugh, and Eamon does the same. 

"Maybe he has to go outside?" I asked.

"Maybe he's just jealous." He offered. I smirked at Pan and then at my boyfriend. I kissed him harder than before, and Pan whined and licked my cheek. 

"I think you were right." I looked at Pan's grey, black, and white face and his bright blue eyes. He's the cutest little puppy, but so protective.

"I want to be right again, then." Eamon commented. I gaped at him, surprised at him, but I couldn’t help smiling. I smacked his arm lightly and pushed the play button on the TV.

"I don't know if I want to be sitting on you anymore." I teased. His arms circled my waist just as swiftly as I spoke and tossed me a grin.

"You’re not going anywhere." He grinned, kissing my forehead. Somehow, I felt -hoped, too- that there was more meaning to that sentence than just the obvious. 

We watched the entire movie, Pan sitting still and attentive. I patted his head as I yawned, now lying on the couch with my head on Eamon's lap. He played with my hair gently during the movie and I swear I almost fell asleep. I looked up at Eamon to see him smiling down at me. He blushed when he was caught, so I tugged his hand that was on my head and kissed his palm.

"Your adorable, Eamon." I commented. He blushed more and smiled at me. I yawned again and rubbed my eyes. He cocked his head and went back to petting my hair.

"Tired, baby?" he asked softly. My heart skipped a few beats and I nodded at his question. Without a second more, he lifted me up. I yelped in surprise.

"What are you doing?" I wondered, clinging onto Eamon in shock.

"Don't you want to go to bed?" he wondered.

"Not when you’re down here. Set me back down, please." I instructed.

"Well, why not?" he inquired, not doing as I said.

"Because I'd rather be with you than fall asleep." I answered shyly. It's true, I realize now. Finally, real life is better than my dreams. His eyes widened a little and I leant up and pecked his nose. He set me back on the couch like I was a delicate doll. Then he laid down right beside me even though there wasn't much room. I giggled as he was almost falling off the couch. I shoved him off and he grunted, then glared at me. Then I pushed myself off and dropped right next to him. He laughed and pulled me into his side. I found myself sighing, all thoughts wiped out while he held me close. I never knew what people meant in religion class when they said they found perfect enlightenment until now. It's being with the person you love and never wanting to let go. It's shoving him away one second and pulling him as close as possible the next. That's love. 

I cuddled close to Eamon and he held me tight in his arms, tucking my head under his chin. Pan jumped on my hip and lay down. I heard a cute snore emanating from him a minute after. I pulled the blanket that was on the couch on top of us and then circled closer into the warmth. Eamon started humming gently to me, lulling me into sleep.

In the early morning, Eamon’s phone rang out in a frantic buzz. I jumped and moved to hand it to Eamon. I sat up against the couch as he rubbed his eyes and looked at the screen. Suddenly, his eyes grew wide. I saw him gulp as he answered it. 

“Hello?” he said huskily. I looked away, not wanting to listen in to the conversation. “I… I don’t underst- no, I know you told me, but I thought-” he said, his tone confused. I looked at him worriedly but he was staring off into the distance. “Well, dad, of course I can come. I just,” he looked over at me and reached for my hand. “I have things I love here.” I started connecting the pieces. The moment I realized it I felt an overwhelming hollowness in my chest. He said goodbye to his dad and I felt my eyes tear up. “She… it came back. They’re going to do chemo, but they aren’t sure…” he croaked. 

“I’ll miss you, Eamon.” I whispered sadly. He frowned deeply and tugged me into his chest. His blue eyes were watering. “Eamon, if she’s as strong as you, she can survive anything.”

“Aurora, I can’t see her like that. I don’t want to see her hooked up to tubes and wires. Her hair was just starting to grow back.” He cried. My heart seemed to fold in on itself. I just can’t take seeing him so sad.

“Do you want me to come with you?” I asked him quietly, rubbing his back slowly. 

“Of course I do! But he says that he’s barely being let in, and they will only let in family. If you came, you’d be out in the hall. I can’t do that to you. Of course, I’ll be dying without there with me, but you should be here and spend time with your family. I need to be with her alone, anyway. Just in case…” he trailed, biting his lip. His eyes welled with tears again and I hurriedly hugged him tightly, trying to squeeze the pain from him. He choked with sobs, his frame shaking.

“Eamon, she will grow up big and strong, okay?” I reassured him. He couldn’t lose hope on his sister. “When will you go?” I asked quietly after tear-filled minute. 

“Two days. My dad bought me tickets without consulting me about when was best, I guess.” He explained. I chewed my lip and tried to think of something good to say, but all I could think of was how much I’ll miss him. My vision grew hazy with salty tears. 

“I love you, Eamon.” I whispered into his chest as I hugged him. I heard his heart beat faster and he stroked my hair. It seemed to calm him more than it calmed me. “You know I’ll miss you, right? Actually, I miss you now and you’re in my arms.” I told him.

“I know, love. I feel the same.” He said, leaning his head against mine.