chapter 38-FIN

~~~this story has been a great journey for me. my first novel finished. i hope to finish many more. honestly, this novel was for me to warm up and find my own writing style. thank you all so much for bearing with the errors and late uploads. it means so much to me that other people have read this story. i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did. Also, if you want an epilogue, TELL ME! i will write one. i'm just not so sure that one is needed. but if it is, tell me please!~~~

CHAPTER 38

After about a month, Eileen was doing much better. She could sit up all by herself, and was starting to get chubby again. Her eyes were lighting up like her old self. I was extremely happy. For more than one reason.

I had been working on a way to ask Aurora since I had time to. I was working every night I could, every morning I had the chance, and every spare second in the day. My thoughts were consumed by Eileen and Aurora. I had talked to Aurora’s parents, and they were absolutely ecstatic. Her dad had said, “Welcome to the family.” I had promptly told him that she might not say yes, which he responded to by laughing.

Eileen was curious as to what I was doing when I wasn’t with her. I explained to her what I was doing. I haven’t seen her so happy in months. She was grinning from one little ear to the other. Seeing her so happy made me want to cry. I realized just how much I’d missed her smile.

“Dad?” I called to him one morning as he walked past my room. He stopped by my door and peeked in. “I’m going to find it today.” I told him, a grin spreading across my face. He copied my expression. 

“I’ll explain to Eileen. Don’t worry about it. Good luck.” He said, clapping me on the back. I got into the car and drove off into the city, a wad of cash in my pocket. My heart was racing and I was practically panting. I was suddenly worried about fainting when I actually asked her. I tried looking confident when I went into the store, but I was difficult. The clerk smiled at me sympathetically.

“Do you need any help today sir?” she asked me.

“I need a ring.” I told her. She went on to ask me about size, design, carats, and more. I had to stop and take a breather more than once. There were so many different designs but luckily I had a basic idea of what I wanted. After what felt like hours, I saw one that I immediately loved. It was silver, with a raised circular diamond and Celtic knots erupting from the sides and leading to the diamond. The diamond itself was clear and held up by four round pegs. It was gorgeous and simple. I could imagine Aurora’s hand and the ring on her finger. There was no doubt in my mind. “This is it.” I told the helpful and patient clerk. She smiled and I paid for the ring. 

She handed me the box in a bag. I sat in the car for a long while just staring at it. The box was too boring. I quickly decided that I wanted to make her one she could keep forever. I drove to the hardware shop before I went home. 

My dad and Eileen- who was allowed home for the last few days I was here- begged to see it. I allowed them to, with extreme caution. It was all “oh be careful” and “no Eileen don’t touch the shiny part,” from me.

“I’m proud of you, Eamon.” My dad said out of nowhere. He had just been looking at me over dinner. I gave him a quizzical look. “I’m just happy that you found a girl that you love and you aren’t about to let her get away from you.” He explained. I smiled at him.

“I really do love her, Dad.” 

“I can tell.”

At the airport, I had to check a large box and asked them a million times to be careful, this is extremely important to me. They stared at me blankly and nodded, trying to get me to go away. I finally did, having to board my plane and all. My nerves felt like they were going to rip and my head was buzzing with worry. I hadn’t told anyone I was coming home. Aurora had no idea when I was coming home. I talked to her a few days ago. It was extremely difficult not to tell her when she said she could barely sleep with me gone for so long.