Chapter Thirty

Loki knocked on my door several times last night, but I didn't answer. I know I won't be able to avoid him forever, but I don't want to approach him with this until I have more information. So despite my grumbling stomach and the lingering smell of pancakes the following morning, I slip back into my leggings and black boots, pausing hesitantly before taking Loki's daggers off the night stand.

With my usual crop top dance shirt and warm trench coat on top, I tie my curls back into a high pony tail and high-tail it out of my room. I barely look up at the Asgardians as I walk through the living room, but my presence quickly brings their conversation to an abrupt stop as they turn their attention to me.

I meet Loki's searching eyes for a moment as I walk by, and he turns toward me in his bar stool.

"Cerys," says Heimdall, drawing my attention to him. "Would you like some breakfast?"

I glance in his direction as I continue heading toward the door, hands tucked firmly into my pockets—no intention of joining them. "No, thank you."

"Are you sure?" he tries again. "And perhaps... We suspect there's something wrong, something you wish to discuss with us."

I come to a stop just to the right of the island, staring at him blankly. His golden eyes narrow slightly as he studies my face, and I press my lips together a bit with reproach.

"No," I state plainly, despite the ire simmering just under the surface, and continue my beeline toward the door. I let it swing shut behind me, and pull out my phone once I'm in the hallway, dialing Pepper's number as I walk on.

"Hello?"

"Hi Pep," I say—rather casually, considering we've spoken all of once or twice over the past few weeks, and seen each other less than a handful of times.

"Hey Cer," she responds softly. "What's up? It's been a while."

"It has. Do you have time right now?"

"Well, I'm... I mean, I'm out of town right now, but I can talk—why, what's going on?"

"Well I was hoping we could meet. I needed to talk to you about some things, but maybe when you get back?"

"Sure," she says earnestly. "What things?"

I press an elevator button. "Loki. And the invasion."

Silence.

"What about the invasion? And... Loki?"

I swallow hard, wondering whether she'll take the bait. "Well, can't talk about one without the other, right?"

Another pause. "I..." she murmurs. "Did he tell you?"

My throat tightens, and I let out a deep breath as the elevator doors open in front of me. That's all I really needed to hear from her. Another big, fat secret to add on the list of things that no one told me about—things I'd certainly consider my business.

After a moment, I say, "No. But we should talk more about this in person," my voice drops as I attempt to keep it steady. "Let me know when you're back in town, okay?"

I don't wait for her to respond as I step into the elevator, lowering the phone and ending the call. I dial again—knowing the person on the other side will have time to meet. At least, I suspect so, since his weekend schedule had never changed much when we were close. It was the same for all six months that we were together, so it's a fair assumption.

"Hello," a voice answers sullenly—Daniel's voice.

"Hi Daniel."

Silence. "What do you want?"