Chapter Fourteen

"HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAY!" My coworkers croon as they walk into the back room, and I smile up at them as I pick up my purse and coat—getting ready to leave.

"Here you are," says Frankie as she hands a small, decorative bag to me.

"Awww, you shouldn't have!" I say as I lean forward for a hug.

"Well, open it before you thank me!" she says from over my shoulder.

"I'm thankful regardless of what it is!" I say laughingly as I pull back, and start ruffling through the bag. At the very bottom, I beam at a pair of small, C-shaped earrings with tiny little gems at the top. "Oh my goodness—they're beautiful, Frankie!" I smile up at her, and lean in for another hug.

"My turn," says Mike, stepping forward and handing me his own little bag.

I pull the paper out of it next, and find a little bracelet at the bottom—with gems exactly like the earrings. "Is this a matching set!?" I look up at them, and Mike nods. I tilt my head graciously and lean forward for a hug. "Thank you so much—both of you, these are amazing."

"Are you doing anything special tonight?" Mike asks.

"Yeah," I nod. "I'm going to go home, freshen up, and then head out to Stark tower."

"Ahh," says Frankie. "Aren't worried about running into Daniel?"

I shake my head. "Even if I do, he should be the one worried about running into me—not the other way around."

"Good," Frankie drops her chin with approval. "Good—that's exactly how you should be thinking about it."

"Thanks," I grin, and gesture to the door. "Anyway, I need to head out, they'll be waiting for me soon!"

"Alright dude," she says as I head toward it. "Have a great time tonight!"

"Yeah, have fun!" Mike adds.

"Thanks you guys," I smile at them as I turn back one last time before leaving. "I'll see you guys later!"

***

I have just enough time after work to hurry back to my apartment and get ready for the birthday party. I might've thought we'd have it at my apartment, but Pepper offered to organize it at Stark tower—we were in agreement that there'd be much more room up there anyway.

My stay with the Asgardians only lasted a couple of days—I refused to impose any longer than that, even though I thoroughly enjoyed waking up every morning to the sight and smell of scrambled eggs and Norse gods in the kitchen. Somehow, it just made me feel grateful to know them, and even more so to befriend them. They really are such kind, incredible people. Even Loki, I think, though he's more reclusive—at times abrasive—than the rest, and I haven't had as much of a chance to interact with him because of that.

All in all, the world is different now—stranger—and much more magical than it was before. And at this point in time, I couldn't be happier to be alive. Good thing it's the perfect occasion to celebrate just that!

A contented smile grows on my face as I peer into the mirror, thinking about how I'm about to go see them all, and have an incredible night. Instead of letting my hair curl naturally, I blow dried and used my round brush to re-curl it. Giant waves are now tumbling over the open shoulders of the dress I picked tonight, which is floor-length and purple—as per the dress code, apart from color. That, I picked accordingly with what I thought my blonde hair would look semi nice flowing over.

Evidently Pepper's inviting quite a few more people over and making an entire scene of this, and if there's one thing I know about the events that Pepper organizes, it's that they're always breathtaking and extravagant.