Chapter Twelve

It was silly to think I'd get any sleep tonight at all, even at the Asgardians' place. Thor and I got in sometime past 1:30 AM, and the entire loft was dark—everyone asleep. Only the pale city lights shining through the line of massive windows to the right illuminated the light-colored furniture, and we were quiet as we passed through it.

Thor was also right about one thing, I hadn't realized just how big the loft really is. The hallway I'd seen when I first came through the door was only half its real length—it curves to the left as well, and at the very end of the hall is the spare bedroom that Thor had mentioned. He left me with a spare towel, and assured me that I should consider his home my own.

I've been laying in this bed for a few hours now. There's a window and a reading chair to my left, and the window's been letting some light in for me to see the room as I flip from side to side. The bed itself is massive—an extra long, king-sized mattress—and the blankets are thick and warm. There's a dresser and a bookshelf in the corner next to the window, and a large, beautiful corner desk on the other side. There some paintings too, of forests and mountains, on some open spaces of the walls, and a big carpet on the hardwood floor to complete the image.

It's a beautiful room—much nicer than any room I've ever slept in. Sometime around five in the morning, I start seeing the pale, orange light of dawn creeping over the top of the building on the other side of the street. My eyelids are heavy, but I just haven't been able to get to sleep.

I sit up in the bed, sighing as I look around the room. As I run my hand through my hair, I realize how greasy it is—maybe from the excessive sweating, I'm not sure. I don't know how it managed to get dirty so fast, but maybe that's why I'm not able to sleep. Maybe I just don't feel entirely comfortable because I know I haven't showered.

I sigh heavily as I slide my legs out from under the covers, and hover them over the ground for a moment before shifting off the side of the mattress.

"Ugh..." I groan as I look out the window for a moment, before shuffling over to my bag—which I'd left on the reading chair—to grab the spare towel beside it.

I open the door quietly, and tip toe to the bathroom at the far corner of the hall, trying not to wake anyone. I glance at the living room for a moment before entering it, briefly taking in the peace and quiet permeating the air. It's quiet—but safe.

The door opens and closes without much of a sound, and the bathroom itself is fairly well-kept.   It takes a minute to figure out exactly how the shower nozzle works, but the water warms up quickly and the pressure is strong. I step into it slowly, with the intention to make this quick.

As I lather and rinse my hair, I hum indiscernibly to "Shape of You"—not from a desire to sing, but rather, a desire for something to help soothe me. Singing has always done just that, and even a hum as low as this one—to keep from waking everyone—is doing just the trick, as all the tension pours out of me with the slivers of air passing between my lips.

I stop humming once I shut off the shower, and step onto the mat, wrapping a towel around me and un-tucking the hair caught underneath it. I turn the knob slowly, just as before, and open the door—gasping sharply and jumping back at the sight of a tall, lean figure standing just on the other side.

It takes me a moment to catch my breath as I trail up the plaid pajamas and plain grey shirt, up to the figure's face—to Loki's face, peering confusedly down at me.

His eyes flicker down the length of me briefly as I pinch the towel to hold it up, and he tilts his head to the side. "Cerys... What are you doing in my bathroom?"

My jaw drops awkwardly as I look up at him with widened eyes. This probably isn't the time, the place, or... the attire to be having this conversation in.

"Uhhh," I stutter a bit. "I-It's a long story, but, my apartment got broken into, and—"

His brow creases concernedly. "Broken into? By whom?"

I lift a shoulder and let it drop. "I don't know. If they caught him, I'd probably still be at home..."

"So you're taking refuge here?"

"Not quite," I let out a breathy chuckle. "Pepper wanted me to stay in Stark tower, but they've got some guests coming, and your brother offered me the spare room so I wouldn't have to be alone."

Loki's eyes narrow as they dart to the side momentarily, and he presses his lips into a thin line. "Is he... accompanying you, then?"

"What? In there?" I shake my head. "No, no—of course not, what I meant was that I wouldn't be alone in my apartment."

His gaze relaxes slightly, and he nods. "I see."

"Did I wake you?" 

"Yes," he pauses, eyes flicking toward the shower. "Unfortunately, I felt your humming."

"Felt?" I furrow a brow.

A quick thought darts across his expression. "Heard—I heard your humming."

"Oh... I'm sorry, I thought I was being quiet," I look behind him. "I hope I didn't wake anyone else up."

"I doubt it sincerely..." he mutters to himself.

"Well, it woke you up, didn't it?"

"For my own reasons."

I stare at him incredulously. "I'm not sure what you mean by that."

"Don't you?" he murmurs accusingly, and I stare back at him blankly. After a moment, he tilts his head with a look of realization. "No—you don't, do you?"

I shake my head slowly. "You're going to have to enlighten me..."

A grin tugs on the corner of his mouth as he glances at the goosebumps forming on my arms from the chill air—or from him, maybe. 

"Another time, perhaps."

"Okay, well..." I pause. "Then, I guess I'll just..." my voice trails off as I point behind him cheekily.

He's unmoving as I step forward, and turns only slightly as I try to squeeze past him—leaving little room between his entire left side, and the doorframe. For a moment I can practically feel remnants of his breath on my bare shoulder, as his head turns with me while I brush past him. A nervous knot forms in my stomach, and I don't look back as I scurry over to my room, quickly shutting the door behind me.