Chapter Twenty-One

In many ways, Geneva is similar to other European cities. I've only ever traveled twice before this trip—once to Italy, and once to France—but the splendor of any European town at night can't possibly be understated. Switzerland has its own share of unique qualities of course, just like any other country. The mountains, for example, have been the most breathtaking sight.

Though, as much as the daytime views are beautiful, nighttime is when the city really boasts its beauty. Lights cast multi-colored shadows against the blankets of white snow lining the streets, and every now and again, a clump or two will fall from some of the roofs.

I rub my gloved hands together and let out a hot breath between them as I take it all in—counting my blessings and thanking Pepper inwardly a thousand and one times, while the twinkling lights reflecting off the Rhone River captivate my outward attention.

It's New Year's Eve, and there aren't nearly as many people in the streets as I thought there'd be. Tony wanted to take a car to wherever the place is that we're going, but the rest of us opted to walk, and enjoy the scenery on our last night here.

"It's just around here," Pepper says, glancing back us from up front with Tony. I'm given to understand that it's a cross between a lodge and a club, but I won't know for sure until we get there.

My heeled boots click loudly against the cold asphalt as we turn we corner, and I hear the place before I actually see it—big open glass windows, and a plethora of tall tables inside. There are some tables outside as well, and the first thing I notice is sound of drunken patrons standing around them, talking and laughing—celebrating.

We all shuffle inside from the cold, but only Tony, Pepper and I show any outward reaction to finally being somewhere warm enough to shed our coats. Much like everyone else, I kept it simple tonight—tight, dark jeans that slipped nicely into my boots, and a skin-tight shirt that wraps nicely around my figure. The only somewhat extravagant item on me is my necklace, which hangs off my chest and glints.

We claim our table roughly near the entrance, and I note momentarily that Loki chose the tall chair opposite me, though on the other end of the small table. I shake the glimmer of disappointment away, choosing instead to focus on the smell of food.

I look around the giant space, but I can't seem to find the source of the aroma. Not only is the room large, it's also dark, and the only sources of light are Christmas lamps lining the walls, and flashing lights on the dance floor—which cast all kinds of atmospheric shadows against the beamed roof and wooden pillars.

The space itself, I'd say, is roughly half full—there's just enough people for the occasion to feel special, but not so many that everyone blurs together. Apart from my own companions' friendly banter, I can hear a number of different people speaking a number of different languages, even over the music.

Tony and Thor wander off at some point to bring us back some drinks, and after a few minutes, the table is lined with shot glasses—two for each of us.

After dispersing them, Tony raises his wrist to look at the time. "Two hours 'til midnight," he exclaims over the music. "Let the games begin!"

I laugh as Tony demonstrably downs the contents of his shot glass, and I cheer approvingly as I do the same.

"Here, here!" Thor calls out in his deep, rumbling voice, and the others join us as well.

I cringe as the liquid the burns my throat, and grab the second shot glass almost immediately, holding it up in the air. "Here's to a great new year with old friends," I gesture to Pepper, who smiles and bobs her head responsively with her glass in her hand. "And to new ones!" I smile as I look around the table next.