Chapter 3

Lucille's POV

The next day at school I could not stop thinking about the kiss. Why did he kiss me? Was he playing a game of kiss all the girls at school?

What did he mean when he said I owed him? What exactly did I owe him? Yes, he helped me, but he also kissed me without my consent. 

All morning I thought about these things as I walked to school. Ethan was confusing me.  He was a popular boy and he could kiss any girl he wanted, yet he kissed me? Why was he acting like this? He didn't even know my name before, but he kissed me... 

I got to my locker. I locked eyes with him as soon as I opened it. He was flirting with that Heather girl again. Why did I care? I don't know. I don't care...right?

As she was talking, however, he looked at me and smirked. I quickly turned away so I would not see him. I put my stuff away and closed my locker. I stole a glance at him again and walked to my first period. 

The bell did not ring yet. I took out my supplies and put it on my desk. Suddenly, I got a text. I don't usually get texts. If I did get one, it was usually from my mom, my work place, or my best friend, but I doubt any of them were texting me right now. 

I checked my phone. The text read, "Can't wait to tell you what I want ;) "

The text was from an unknown number. Who is this?  I then remembered back to last night when Ethan took my phone.

What did he exactly want from me? A nobody at this school. There was nothing I could give him. I mean, I was just plain, old Lucille.  

Now, I really wished he did not help me. It was getting weird with all the glances and now he was even texting me...

The bell rang and students came rushing in. 

Ethan walked in with a bunch of his friends. They were laughing loudly about something. He looked my way and smiled. I quickly looked away. Why did I have to see him every time he came in? 

Finally, class started.

(20 minutes before the end of class)

"Okay, class. I forgot to mention that today is a very big day. I will be assigning you a partner for your Comparative Government project," Mr. Farras said smiling as he passed out the assignment. Everyone groaned including me. I hated partner work. I would rather work by myself. 

"Boohoo, you guys have a project. Do I need to wipe your tears?" he said, sarcastically. "You guys are to research the type of government that are out there for the country you are assigned to and compare it to ours. You will present it in a well mannered format of poster, powerpoint, model, etc. The project will be worth 100 points. You guys will be given two weeks to finish the project.  Got it? Any questions?" he said, looking towards the class.

No one raised their hands. 

"Good, I will now tell you your assigned partner. I will give you some time to get up and talk to your partner about the project afterwards."  He began listing off our partners. Oh gosh, I did not want to work with anyone. I hated working with people. They either didn't want to do anything or they wanted to do everything. 

"Lucille and Ethan," I looked up in disbelief. He's got to be kidding me. Ethan looked at me and smirked. He's been doing that a lot today. "Get up and discuss." I got up to go talk to Mr. Farras. I was not going to be Ethan's partner. No-oh. I mean out of everyone in the class, he just had to partner me up with him. REALLY? He may be cute, but he had bad work ethic.

"Mr. Farras" I spoke timidly. 

"Yes, Ms. James," he looked at me questionably. 

"Is it possible to work by myself? I mean-" I asked.