Chapter 25

Lucille's POV

It had been two weeks since the day Ethan ended it. In our classes, we didn't even look at each other. We were strangers once again. My heart crashed a little every time I saw him and Heather, but what could I do? He hated me, he said. I was nothing to him. We were nothing. It was hard, but I was getting through it. 

I hung out a lot with Theo. He's been really sweet. We occasionally hang out after our tutoring sessions. He felt like my first real friend since I've lived here. It felt nice to have someone to talk to. 

"So tonight... movies?" Theo asked.

"I have a quiz tomorrow."

"Right. Well then, let's study! I have a quiz too." He smiled. 

"And you were planning to go to the movies?" I asked, questionably. 

"There was an emphasis on planning, and it fell through so there you go! Don't judge me," he said. 

I laughed. He smiled with his pink lips.

I have even been spending more time with my mother. She did not go to work as often anymore. She was always home with dinner ready when I got back from work. It was nice to have my mother back. I really missed my time with her. 

"You haven't talked to Ethan, have you?" she asked at our most recent dinner. 

"Of course not," I answered. 

"Just making sure... I don't want him near you."

"Thanks, mom," I said sadly. 

"Honey..."

I looked up. 

"There are better fishes in the sea, okay?"

"I know that, mom."

She smiled back.

"Of course you do. I just want to be able to protect you now. You're my daughter."

Ethan's POV

It had been two weeks. Lucille stopped being my tutor. I saw it coming, but I didn't even get the chance to show her I got a B+ on my calculus test. Who's fault was that? My inner thoughts spoke. I've been working really hard in baseball to get that scholarship. Harder than before... I needed to get that scholarship back .... and Lucille too. I needed to let her know I didn't mean what I said. With the harsh words I used, however, I doubt she'll forgive me even if she knew how sincere my apology was. 

I didn't even have time to worry about Heather, but it wasn't like she cared. As long as Lucille and I weren't sneaking around together, she didn't bother with me. All I needed to focus on for now was baseball and my grades.

I saw her one day at lunch with that kid, Leo or something like that. She was laughing...I couldn't stand the sight. I wanted to be that person to make her happy, but I couldn't give her everything. I still lacked myself, which was hard. And so, I gave up the right to look at her. We went back to strangers again. We were a finished couple now. 

Lucille's POV

Theo and I were at the library. I was finishing an assignment when he broke the silence.

"So... you and that "complicated" relationship, is it really over?"

I stopped my pen. This is the first time I've talked about in two weeks. I start writing again. 

"Yeah.. it's really over," I said. 

"Cool...so it would be okay if I asked you out on a date then?"