Chapter 28

"Thank you for tonight. I had a good time," I said.

"No, thank you for letting me make it up to you," Theo responded with a soft smile.

I smiled back. We stood while looking at each other, awkwardly. I broke the awkwardness by looking down.

"Um, well then, I guess I should go," Theo said, breaking the silence. I nodded.

"Would it be okay.. if, I don't know, I take you out again?" he said, nervously.

"Um yeah, sure." I gave a half-smile back.

He moved forward  and wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him back.

"Good night, Lucille," he said, walking backwards.

"Good night, Theo." I waved. He walked to his car and drove away. When I saw he was gone, I opened the door. I got in, closed the door, and leaned against it. I shut my eyes and slid down against the door.

Flashback

Throughout the dinner, I noticed Ethan's small jealous glares towards the table. I tried to ignore them, but I couldn't help my own glances over at his table. I was probably the worst date ever. I was barely paying attention to Theo's talking. He must have noticed because in the middle of his story, he stopped to ask if he was boring me.

"No..." I replied, apologetically. "I just, um, this pasta, is making me sleepy because it's so good. You know, food coma maybe?" I lied.

He chuckled, but I saw he didn't believe me.

"Yeah... pasta can do that, or my stories can," he said.

I gave a sorry look.

"Sorry...I just.."

"I know. You don't have to explain." He gave an understanding smile. "Let's talk about you, so its less boring," he joked.

I gave a small smile back and looked down to my food.

"What exactly makes Lucille, Lucille? I definitely want to know more about her." He smiled.

"Well," I began. I looked up. I was about to talk when I saw Ethan's group get up to leave. I noticed his last glance at me. It was a distressed one. My face began to change to the same. Then, he was out the door and gone.

"Hm?" Theo questioned. I quickly looked away.

"Um, I was saying. I'm not really sure," I responded. We talked for awhile about different things for a little while longer. I wasn't exactly 100% in attention mode because Ethan stayed in my thoughts.

"I'll go pay," Theo suddenly said.

"No, it's okay. I can pay..." I offered.

"No, it's both our first date. I think its in the handbook that the man pays" he smiled.

"It's really--" I tried to object.

"Nope. I'll go pay. You stay here." He cut me off and got up to go to the cashier. I grabbed my bag to make sure I had everything. My phone buzzed with a text.

Can I see you tonight? I need to talk to you...

It was from Ethan. I didn't know how to respond. I blankly stared at the screen.

"You ready?" Theo's voice surprised me. I quickly shut my phone off and got up.

"Yeah," I said.

End of flashback

Here I was now. Leaned against the door. Confused. Hurt. Pitiful. I got up and went to take a hot shower. I decided not to respond to Ethan... not yet. I wasn't ready to hear him call me a loser again. When I got out of the shower, I wrapped a towel around me and left the bathroom. I was met by a happy April who was sitting on my bed