Chapter 24

Lucille's POV

"Lucille... honey, are you okay?"

My mom had been banging on my door for a few minutes now. I had no energy to get up. After last night, my whole body felt numb. Ethan told me he never loved me. I was a loser... a slut. He could never love me, he said. I repeated his words in my head. Why did it hurt so much? I felt like I couldn't breathe. I thought it would be easier... for him to let me go. I never wanted this from the beginning anyways. It was he who forced me into his "unclaimed" relationship. I should be happy, but I felt like throwing up. I had a headache. The pit of my stomach whirled with pain. He told me he loved me... but now he hated me. We were never anything... and like he said, we would never be anything.

"Lucille!" my mom called again. I could not let my mom see me like this. I felt even worse to have done what I did with Ethan... and my mother knew nothing about it. I sucked my dried tears and took a deep breathe. I had to conceal it as much as I could.

"Lucille..."

"Coming!" I replied. I walked to open my bedroom door. My mom looked so worried.

"Honey, are you okay?"

I nodded with a weak smile. 

"You don't look okay... are you sick?"

I shook my head. I felt the tears coming. I took a big breath to keep myself from falling apart in front of my mom. 

"Are you sure?"

"Mhm," I said, biting my lip to keep the weeping in. 

"Lucille..." She wasn't convinced. She gave a look of suspicion. She moved towards me with her arms open. I just continued shaking my head, but I couldn't cold it in anymore. I let the tears fall. 

"Oh my baby girl." She moved closer to me to hug me. I then let it all out. Every sound of pain and every tear drop I hid. 

"Tell me. I'm your mother. Oh God. What happened?" she asked, as she continued to rub my back. She pulled me in closer. 

I shook my head. I couldn't tell her. I buried my head in her chest. I couldn't look her in the eyes. 

"Lucille, tell me." She pulled me up so that I could see her face. I couldn't do it, however, so I buried my face back into her chest.  

"Did they bully you at school again?" 

I wish it was only bullying, I thought to myself.

I didn't answer. I just crawled into a ball while she held me. 

"Okay... shh, shh, my beautiful baby. Let it out! Oh God, you must have been hurting so much last night. I'm so sorry I come home so late...everyday." 

My mind went back to last night and the tears fell harder.

"Shh, shhh." She rocked me like a baby. "We'll talk about it later."

You wouldn't be too happy. I wish I had told you earlier, I thought.

Right now, I needed my mother. I didn't care if she had to go to work or not. I just needed her. I continued to hold onto her tighter and tighter. 

Ethan's POV

I didn't see her at school. She wasn't in 1st period or 4th period. I didn't go to our secret pathway... because we weren't a secret anymore.

"Stop looking for that little loser," Heather whispered with aggravation.

"Calm down. Everyone thinks we're the happy couple. You don't have to worry," I said, annoyed.