Chapter 37

Lucille's POV

(2 weeks later)

"Hey Luce. You have mail!" my mother said Saturday morning.

She handed me a big envelope with the big words: NEW YORK UNIVERSITY OFFICIAL DOCUMENT

I quickly tore the envelope open.

"Dear Ms. Lucille James, we are delighted to inform you..." I read the letter. I should have been delighted. Excited. Overjoyed. This was my dream yet, there was a bad feeling tugging at my heart.

No smile came out.

"What is it, Luce?" my mother looked over my shoulder. "Oh my God, Oh my God. Luce! I'm so happy for you" she squeezed my shoulder. I don't respond.

"Luce, what's wrong?"

I turn to her and give her a nervous smile. I slightly shake my head.

"Nothing, I'm just... surprised"

"Don't be, honey. You deserve this more than anyone else!" she hugged me. I felt confused. Pieces of my heart were clashing with each other.
I put the letter back into the envelope and closed the top.
I was suppose to focus on buying a prom dress today but now I had more things to worry about. How would I tell Ethan? Would I even tell Ethan?
'Mom, I'm gonna be late from work today...' I lied. I knew if I told my mom I was going to prom, she'd question my date and I couldn't tell her it was Ethan.
'Again? They must really like you at the diner, you've been late a lot these days,' my mom said.
'Mhm... They love me besides I really need those hours now,' I said jokingly as I held up the envelope.
'Okay, okay,' she says. ' Call-'
'-- If I need anything. I know,' I cut her off.
'Okay,' she kisses the top of my head. 'Congrats again Luce. I'm so proud of you honey'
I smile back. I throw my acceptance letter into my bag and make my way to the diner.
After work, I go to the mall to look around for a prom dress. I honestly wasn't good at these things, you know shopping, so I was having a difficult time trying to find a good dress. I text April about it.
Our conversation went like this:
L: help me!
A: whats wrong?
L: I can't find a dress for prom. What am I suppose to buy?
A: okay, calm down. Send me pictures of the dresses you see that look like they would be good for prom.
I send her a picture of the ground.
L: I see nothing because I don't know what would be good for prom.
A: okay okay.
L: :-(
A: when's prom?
L: 2 weeks from now.
A: trust me
L: what?
A: just trust me. Check for a package 3 days from now.
L: what?
A: love you. I'll call you in three days.
L: April!
I wait 5 minutes but get nothing back. She ignored me. I then get a call from Ethan. I smile and pick up.
'Hello?'
'Hey, where are you right now?' Ethan asks.
'Uh....' I hesitate to answer. I didn't want him to know I went prom dress hunting.
'Before you lie, I suggest you don't, Lucille. You're mine's. I know when you're lying,' he said confidently.
My cheeks turn red and I bite my lip.
'Fine...' I gave up.
He chuckles. 'So where are you?'
I take a breathe and say hesitantly,' the mall...'
'So why couldn't you tell me that? Are you cheating ?' He jokes.
I grin.
'I guess you better come check,' I challenge him, jokingly.
'I'll be there in 20 minutes' he says before he hangs up.
I walk around the mall as I wait for him. As I'm walking I see Theo in one of the stores, I stop and quickly walk away before he notices, but I'm too late. I turn around to see that he already saw me and is now trying walking after me as he fights through the crowd. I pick up my speed to almost jogging away. I turn around again to see if he was still there but he disappears. Suddenly, without looking I bump into a chest that scares me. I step back in surprise and look to see Ethan. My worries face turns into one of relief. His smile turns into a worried look.
'Woah, are you okay?'
I turn around to check to see if Theo was really gone. I look at Ethan and nod my head. He holds my head.
'What happened? Why do you look so frantic?' he asks, looking around the mall.
I shake my head.
'It's nothing. I'm okay now with you here' I smile at him.
He doesn't look convinced but kisses my forehead and nods.
'So what are you doing at the mall?' Ethan asks as we walked around the mall.
I pretend to not hear him.
'Luce...' he stops walking.
I avoid eye contact. He lifts up my chin to make eye contact with him.
'I'm assuming you were really cheating?' he jokes again. I crinkle my eyebrows and look at him, pretending to be angry.
'You would really think that?' I say.
'I'm just joking,' he chuckles as he pulls me in for a hug. 'So tell me...'
He looks at me all cutely. I couldn't say no to that face. I sigh and look away.
'I was...' I hesitate to say.
'Hmm?' he raises his eyebrows.
'Looking for a prom dress...' I say quietly.
'What? I can't hear you' he says.
'Looking for a prom dress,' I say a little louder.
'I still can't hear you'
'Lookin for a prom dress!' I shout. People turned their heads to look at us and Ethan was laughing.
My cheeks redden in embarrassment.
I softly hit his check.
'Don't laugh!' I whined.
'I'm not!' he says but he continues to laugh.
'Ethan!' I say.
'Why were you embarrassed to say that? It's normal for a gorgeous girl to go look for a dress especially one for prom'
'Because I've never done it,' I say quietly as I look down on the floor. 'I'm not like other girls who go shopping all the time. I just wear what I have.'
Ethan smiles and hugs me.
'Even if you were to wear jeans and a T-shirt you'd still be the most beautiful girl to me,' he whispers into my ear.
I smile, feeling better from his words.
I pull away.
'Really? I ask.
He nods. 'Probably even too good to be seen with me.'
I shake my head. 'Never,' I tell him. He leans down and kisses me. We hang out for awhile at the mall before we have to go home.
I get into his car and turn to the side to grab my seatbelt.
Ethan suddenly says,' New York University Official Document'.
I quickly turned to him without getting the seatbelt. Ethan was holding the envelope with my acceptance letter.
My face turned into nervousness. He was looking down at it. I quickly pulled the envelope from him.
'What is that?' he asks in a sad tone.
'It's nothing,' I say, avoiding eye contact by trying to grab my seatbelt again. I clip in my seatbelt and put the envelope in my bag but he grabs it again.
'What are you doing?' I shout. My voice makes no difference, however. He opens the envelope and takes out the letter.
'Dear Ms. Lucille James, we are delighted to inform you..." he read what I read this morning out loud.
I try to grab it again, but he pulls it further away to his side as he reads it.
'Give it back!' I shout, frustrated.
He turns back to me.
'You got accepted?' he asks, sadly.
I just stare at him.
'When did you find out?' He continues.
'This morning...' I say quietly.
'Why didn't you tell me?' He sounded frustrated.
'I--I wanted to, but...'
My words fumble in my head and I don't know what to say.
He sighs and looks out the window.
'You thought I wouldn't be happy for you?'
'It's not that...'
'It is that. You really think I'm some selfish jerk that you couldn't even tell me this. I've been tryin to prove that I'm not that guy, but you still think I am, dont you?' he says.
'It's really not that...'
'Then what is it?
'I didn't want it to ruin the weeks we had left together,' I say nervously.
'What does that mean?'
I sigh. 'I don't want to talk about it right now'
'No, I want to talk about it.'
'It doesn't mean anything, Can we just go home?!' I say frustrated at this fight we're having.
He lets out a frustrated breathe and starts the engine. There is silence the whole ride back. When we get there, I timidly turn to look at him. He's looking out the window however. I don't say anything and walk out of the car.
'I'm sincerely happy for you,' Ethan says before I close the door. I turn to him with the windows rolled down.
'That's what you would have heard this morning...' he said before he left.