Ambush

Alex's P.O.V

I looked at the girl before me in shock. Callix was declared dead years ago. We had a funeral and everything.

I gathered her in a hug as Echo watched in confusion. My parents, as much as they disliked me, had always picked favorites. Callix often took the hit of my misbehavior. It wouldn't shock me if she'd faked her own death.

"Were you born with that hair?" Echo asked, causing us to break apart with a chuckle. That's where the whole 'blank canvas' thing fell into place. Piercings, tattoos and dyed hair were unknown to most, so I understood why his confusion.

"Alex, who's this?" Callix asked, a small smirk shaping her face. The blonde beside me lit up with a blush as I answered. "This is Echo. He's a Void too." Callix was the only one who knew I was gay.

Our population was like that of a wild animal's, in the sense that people had children just to reproduce. Love and relationships were frowned upon, and sexuality was what you'd assume it to be. Nonexistent. The only relationships that were formed were to advance our society, but it seemed as if we were going backwards.

"It's called hair dye. People used to do it all the time." She said. "For a second, I thought your hair was dyed." She ruffled his platinum locks as he wrinkled his nose. He looked at me with a smile. "Can I dye my hair?" He asked, bouncing as if we were back home and safe. "I like your hair." I replied, faking a frown.

Callix interrupted us by clearing her throat, giving me a look saying we needed to catch up. It had been 8 years, and I wouldn't have known it was her if it wasn't for that damn hair. She would color it with markers when we were younger.

"We aren't the safest here. Voids have been eliminated from this city, I think it used to be called Chicago, but it's chaos. We were ambushed earlier, so we had take precautions. Follow me and we'll get you situated." We followed her up the stairs and into a room. One bed.

"We have food stocked in the kitchen, and we meet every morning. Shifts are set to watch the front, but other than that, try not to die. Dinner is in 20."

And with that, she spun on her heal and left. Echo was laying on the bed, almost passed out. I smirked and walked over, petting his hair and whispering in his ear.

"Let's shower while we have some alone time." He whined as I picked him up, resting his head on my shoulder.

I set him on the bathroom counter and turned on the water. He'd taken of his top and was sleepily working the bottoms.

He hopped off the counter and giggled when I kissed his forehead, pulling him into the hot water with me.

I risked taking a glance, and I realized in that moment how lucky I was. I was on the run with a bounty on my head, but I had Echo and I would spend every second I could with him.

Tomorrow a new battle would begin, but for now I didn't intend on letting Echo go.

Please like and comment if you enjoyed!

Also, do you want shirt chapters more frequently, or longer chapters less frequently? Let me know!