The First Shot

Echo's P.O.V

It was getting harder to keep in. Alex kissed me and now I felt like a dam that was about to burst.

4 years of observing him from afar and this was how it turned out?

We were at a diner, somewhere called May's Eatery. Alex watched me with concern as I picked at my food.

"Echo, you need to eat." I snapped my head up. I couldn't eat.

"I-I'm not really hungry" I lied. It hurt me to lie to Alex, even if he knew. He sighed and looked at his hands.

Distress came off of him in waves. I had caused it.

Seeing him in this state, I hesitantly picked up a French fry and nibbles on it. He looked up again, and a small smile met his lips. "There you go."

I sighed and continued eating my food. Alex flagged down the waiter and payed for our meal. I forgot my card at home, so he was paying until we could find jobs.

We got back in the car, continuing our journey.

Until the warfare started.

They hit his truck a mile a minute, and I screamed, unbuckling my seat belt. Alex did the same, and laid over me. I ducked down and waited for them to stop.

I let out a shriek of pain as a bullet grazed my leg. I felt the blood, but it wasn't to bad.

They kept coming for what felt like forever, and then stopped. No after effects, no explosions, nothing.

Alex was breathing heavily as he sat up. I was crying and my breath was rapid. My sight became blurry as the panic set in. Alex pulled me to his chest as we pulled over. His car still worked, but the windows were shattered and the exterior was dented and embedded with bullets.

We sat together for hours. Cars passed by without a care. The sky grew dark and our stomachs began to rumble with hunger.

But we still didn't move.

Alex was perfectly still. He didn't move a muscle. I laid against his chest, the trails of dried tears running down my face. My body couldn't stop shaking.

Eventually it was pitch black and the need to eat over came us. I looked at the clock on the dashboard. 2:47am.

Alex handed me a box of crackers and an apple, taking the same for himself. We ate in silence, watching the blurred traffic lights change from green, to yellow, to red. He reached over and grabbed my hand, filling me a warmth I didn't know I craved.

And in the moment, I knew I never left home.

Because home was with Alex.

{A/N}

Wow. Chapter 12. I've written 12 chapters.

What did you guys think of this chapter?

The song I listed to while writing was Fools by Troye Sivan. The video is up top.

~Danielle