The Weight of the World

Warning: This chapter mentions self harm and abuse. If you aren't comfortable reading about these topics, please skip this chapter or discontinue reading this book.

"Y-you're parents?" I asked in disbelief.

Echo's parents had always excepted him. Everyone had thought so, at least.

His eyes focused on his hands, not making eye contact as he nodded.

"Oh, Echo" I whispered as I traced a particularly long mark, one that ran down the middle of his chest to the center of his stomach.

His body began trembling. It was obviously an uncomfortable topic for him.

"Come here" I said, pulling his body to mine. He wrapped around me tightly, not willing to let go.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" I mumbled into his neck. He shook his head hard as I felt tears fall onto my shoulder.

Without letting go, I picked him up and walked over to the small shower, turning on the faucet.

We sat like that for what felt like an hour, but was probably 20 minutes, nothing but the sound of falling water to calm us.

"Are you okay now?" I rubbed his back and waited for a response. A nod was all I got as he slipped off my body and took off his remaining clothes.

I resisted the urge to look down as he kept his eyes on the floor.

Echo's P.O.V

He saw. He saw and he wasn't supposed to.

Everyone thought my parents excepted me, cared for me, wanted me to "embrace myself."

It was a facade. A facade they put on so I would seem like the enemy, not them.

"You have to much power." They had told me this as if I wanted to be born a freak.

They abused me, physically and mentally. Mom would burn me and Dad would watch.

Dad would cut me with a broken beer bottle he'd emptied that day and Mom would continue cooking dinner.

The next day, they would drive me to school and send me off with a smile and a "Have a nice day, Kiddo."

And everyone believed them.

It's not like I had anyone to tell. I wasn't everyone's favorite person, after all. It was worse at school.

Everyone saw me as a mistake. At least other Void's could hide. I had no option.

Because eventually, there are to many tears and the damn breaks.

Because eventually, the weight of the world crushes me and I cry. And I can't hold back.

And then people hurt me more. They hurt me for hurting.

And so then I started abusing myself.

The cuts got deeper every day.

I started eating less. Actually, I started eating nothing in general.

And no one cared.

Please comment what you think and give this chapter a vote.

~Danielle